Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swimmer4110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Apologize for teenage prank?
    Many years ago (about 16 years ago), while we were teenagers, a bunch of girlfriends and I did the usual teenage prank and TP'd a neighbor;s house where when of our guy friends lived. Everything was very innocent - no real damage done at all - just some toilet paper and shaving cream. However, we did sign our initials and/or his initials (I can't remember for sure) along with a heart (? Again, this is my memory) on their cement driveway with shaving cream/gel. I remember months afterwards driving by the house and it appeared as the shaving cream design left a stain on the driveway. Of course, being 16 years old, this did not occur to us - we just assumed it would wash off and even today I still believe it should have eventually washed or wore off. I'm not sure if it did or not, but I know since then the cement driveway has been replaced -whether due to that or due to just age (many people in the neighborhood have replaced at least part of their driveways by now due to age). I had completely forgotten about this until I was visiting my parents over the holidays and ran into the parents (owners) of that house. I now feel guilty for this if we did stain their driveway - now in my 30s I am aware of the hard work and expense to maintain a house and property, but being 16 at the time, we were just playing an innocent prank. Do I just forget about this and chalk it up to teenage prank? Do I owe up to this and apologize 16 years later? Do I offer any money for the damage that *might* have been done? (their son did also TP our house too - like I said, just a fun, innocent teenage game)
    Illusion Posts: 195, Reputation: 33

May 29, 2008, 11:47 PM
    I would let this float right out of my mind - no need to apologize, no need to pay anything -or to offer to pay anything - all is well. You were a kid and playing around - it happened a long time ago. Just let it go.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 12:44 AM
    Just a little story you made me remember: in junior high, my best friend and I toilet-papered the front yards of the homes of other students in my neighborhood. I realized that if my house was the only one not tp'd they would surely realize who did it! There was only one option at that point - we had to tp my house, too. Perhaps it was the most fun of all. It was fun enough that we never had to tp anyone's house again - better left as a memory.

I understand the guilt you feel, but I'll have to agree with Illusion and give you the permission to let it go. I really doubt they re-paved the whole driveway because of the stain. I'll bet that the "stain" may have been left over soap that just kept foaming with each rain. Or was the driveway white and the stain in bright blue? How large was this "stain" anyway? I never would have imagined that shave gel/foam could stain anything. I imagine that manufacturers have to consider these things when they're made.

When I was 4, I stuck a snork sticker in my pocket while my mother and I were at a party store. As soon as we walked out the door, all of the blood rushed out of my face as I realized what I had done. Even years afterward, I had dreams in which that store went out of business because I had stolen that sticker. I swear it to you. Eventually, at least 10 years later, it really did close down. I felt awful. I think your story is similar to mine - the guilt you feel, however, might just be out of proportion to the crime.
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 25, 2008, 07:06 PM
    I appreciate your sensitive conscience. It seems there was no great damage done. However, I know the release and inner freedom that came from my own adult confessions of some of my youthful pranks.

There must be some reason the issue has arisen within you. If it bothers you, why not take care of it in the manner that you have been mulling over.

Even in my adult life, I've followed this principle. It brings a welcome release.

Disclaimer: My comments are offered as the views and opinions of a peer in this forum and not within the context of a professional-client relationship. Anyone applying this information to life circumstances assumes full responsibility for the results of doing so.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I would just forget it and go on in life, but if you want to, go ahead
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jun 26, 2008, 07:15 PM
    If it is really bothering you, I would confess. I say that because the confession will help you to let it go and move on. Not to mention the fact that I know very few people that would even dream of you paying them anything for something that happened 16 years ago. Like I said the confession will help clear your conscience (I think I spelt that wrong sorry). But in the end its your call.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I in my junior year of high school did something similar but with no damage to property at all. And I felt like you, if I didn't do any damage I should not owe them any thing. Well many years later I found out that I did damage, it was just not done to property but to a persons mind, I scared a pregnant woman, and she lived with that fear for years. I wrote her a letter and apologized. She thanked me and I feel like a better man for it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 04:05 AM
    You are prepared to pay for the concrete driveway if they so request? I don't know if they can legally make you do so but maybe the clock doesn't start ticking until they become aware of who caused the damage.
    I have built roads for 35 years and I don't believe shaving cream will damage concrete (I reserve the right to be wrong), they probable put salt on the driveway and cause it to pock and delaminate.
    I would let this sleeping dog lie.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 27, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Well I don't know the scientifics, but I do know shaving cream can hurt the paint job on your car, so staining concrete isn't THAT far of a jump. I would let it go, however, if your conscience will allow it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Let it go confessing would be more for your conscience sake than anything so forgive yourself and forget it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long to wait to apologize [ 3 Answers ]

HI: I met this guy through work. We were in a project and worked very close to each other. He gave mixed signals, which I thought positive and showed my true feelings. He dumped me by saying I read him wrong. The project ended 6 weeks ago. After that I went crazy and came on strong by calling him...

NJ to apologize for slavery? [ 13 Answers ]

Your opinions please... Should states - and Congress - apologize for slavery, or is the mere act of abolishing slavery sufficient? Why or why not? In those states that have officially apologized, has it accomplished anything? Would such an apology "comfort black residents?" Will...

Prank callers [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out the number of my private caller. I've contacted my network provider but they said they can't see incoming calls. I am convinced I know who it is I just need confirmation. .

Prank calls [ 2 Answers ]

How do u trace number when its been blocked?

Should I apologize? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for a couple of weeks. He is 42 and I am 25. He is in the medical industry, so he is always busy and work and traveling. A few days ago I caught an attitude because I don't get to see or talk to him much. I realized that I was being very immature, but that was after the...

View more questions Search