Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryannbr Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Paid SS and Medicare while in F1
    Hi there,

I'm very confused. I worked on my F1 (OPT) from June 15th - December 19th 2005 but my company deducted social security and medicare taxes (it's a small company and they didn't know any different). On December 19th I switched my status from F1 to H1b. Apparently I can claim a refund using form 843 for the social security and medicare taxes I've paid but a friend found the following limitation to the exemption online:

"The exemption does not apply to nonimmigrants in F-1,J-1,M-1,or Q-1/Q-2 status who change nonimmigrant status to a status which is not exempt or to a special protected status."

Does this mean I can't claim the refund? I want to make sure as it's a lot of money.

Also, from other strings it sounds like I have to file a different tax form and there are different rules for F1... where can I find more information about this?

Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maryann
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Mary Ann:

Yes, you can file Form 843 to claim the refund. Download IRS Pub 519 to get the precise instructions on how to do so.

For 2005, you can:

- file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ for your income tax as a non-resident alien.

OR

- wait until mid-June 2006 (be sure to file for an extension), then file Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ as a resident alien under the First Year Choice (also explained in IRS Pub 519).

Unless you get special tax treatment under the tax treaty between your home country and the U.S. it is likely that waiting and filing as a resident alien will get you a bigger refund.

Jan 26, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    That's wonderful news. I'll read up on the publication you mention as I'm unaware of the first year choice issue. This is really helpful.

Best wishes,

Maryann:)
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Glad to help!

Jan 27, 2006, 07:43 AM
    Quick question about filing
    Just to make sure I've got this straight... I should file for a refund NOW and then file my 1040-NR or whichever form I end up filing separately at a later date?

Thanks!

Maryann
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Yes, you can file the Form 843 for the Social Security and Medicare refunds immediately and wait (up until 15 April 2009) to file the income tax return to get your income tax refund.

Jan 30, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Thank you thank you thank you - you are a great and much appreciated help :)
    falcon1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Do you need to get a written letter from the employer saying they have paid the taxes already to IRS or they will not refund it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Falcon1:

Yes, the refusal from the employer has to be in writing!
    falcon1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Since I was on F1 part of the year 2005. My w-2 shows ss and medicare taxes for the entire year not the part of the year I was on F1. Should I just submit a copy of my last F-1 period paycheck which shows the SS and medicare taxes till that point
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2006, 09:40 PM
    Falcon1:

Multiply the figure in Box 3 of the W-2 by .062 (6.2%). If it comes out to approximately the amount in Box 4, then you have proof that Social Security were withheld for the entire year. The same logic applies to Boxes 5 and 6 (the percentage is 1.45%, or .0145). Since the percentages involved do not change, all the IRS needs to know is when your F-1 status ended and when the H-1B status began. They can thendetermine the amount of the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck not paid [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a problem and I seek somebodies advice regarding. I used work for a company earlier and before working they made a deal that I need to work under them for 12 months, My job started around dec 2004. In Jan I met with an accident and I got billed around 30000 from the Hospital. I...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

Query on paid SS and Medicare [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, During 2004 , I was in F-1 for 9 months and switched to H1B for the rest. And I filed 1040NREZ and got my tax refunds. My employer has deducted ss and medicare. I didn't know that there is no need to pay for ss and medicare if it is dual status year. I came to know this just today... Is...

Paid here, not living here... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my inquiry is the following. I arrived to the US under a H1B visa in March 05, and worked here (paid by a US company in an US account) the whole year. In a couple of weeks I will be coming back to Europe (indefinitely), but for at least a year the US company will keep paying my salary in my...

View more questions Search