Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unckcharlie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Garnished bank account funds
    I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter to the bank telling them that my funds are exempt, but they refuse to release my account. The judgement was filed in one county, and a Constable in another county signed the garnishment order, very fishy. I believe this is all very illegal. How do I convince the bank? Will a Federal marshall help? Been through all the conversations will bank legal depts. To no avail. Anyone can help advise?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
    Court
    You will have to get the order overturned in court.

Legal or not, they have a court order. So you will have to appeal the court order in court. IE hire an attorney and file to have the garnishment set aside.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 07:18 AM
    Texas garnishment order,
    THe order must be signed by a Judge, use the link to read the procedure for Texas, Hope this helps.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/...laws-5.html#44
    unckcharlie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 07:53 AM
    Garnish bank account
    Thanks for your response, I am printing the link, I believe it may help, again, Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Judgement [ 10 Answers ]

Last week I discovered that my bank account was 0. I called my bank and they explained that I had a legal judgement against my account for debt collection. I have an appointment with an attorney later this week but cannot cash my paycheck at my bank as they will force deposit it into my account to...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Account Garnished, Possible Lien, Please help [ 7 Answers ]

In March of 2003 I stopped paying 3 of my credit cards while I lived in FL. Now, World Assett Mgmt, a debt purchaser, and one of the worst, has placed a jugdement against me, filed for contempt of court, and has garnished my bank account. (I know I should have shown up for the court hearings, but I...

Leaving funds in US account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I will be moving to the US from the UK on an H1-B visa for a job that lasts 3 years. At the end of that period, I expect to have saved a sum of money in a US bank account. My question is this: Am I allowed to keep a bank account open in the US under my name when I leave permanently and,...

View more questions Search