Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ani_25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Brownish Discharge 1 week before period
    Hey all,

I was wonderig if anybody can help me. For the last two months I've been having a brownish discharge about a week before my period and don't know why this occurs. I got of the pill last October and was spotting a bit after it, but then it stopped around January so I don't think that's it. It is a light brown, weak discharge and lasts around 4 days, sometimes there is a slight burning sensation as well as very light abdominal discomfort (no cramping though). Does anyone know what this might occur?

Thanks for your help!
    Anja
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Is the discharge dark brown, like really really dark blood? Or brownish white, like milky brown, if that makes sense?

Either way, a burning sensation and abdominal discomfort is a sure sign that you need to pay your doctor a visit. I'm not saying its anything extremely bad, but there is always a reason that your body has these feelings. :)

Aug 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for your quick answer! It is more of a chocolate discharge.
    Do you think it's anything serious? I can't go to the doctor again at the moment. The doctor I go to covered by my health insurance is not good at all! I went there about two months ago for reoccuring yeast infections and she didn't help me at all. I used to get them every months when I was on birth control and since I stopped taking it I've been getting them less frequently (now I treat them myself with acidophilus and joghurt and it works much better than all the heavy medication that doctor was giving me). I also have a history of HPV. Got it about 4 years ago but was not tested for High grade SIL only low grade and am getting a colposcopy now twice a year (the last one in April). Do you think the bleeding could have anything to do with that? Or could it be hormonal changes? The burning is only very slight it might be due to a weak yeast infection (I've been getting them about a week before my period every other month). The discomfort only occurred the other day when I was having intercourse with my boyfriend of two years. All this is so tiring...

Now I'm trying to find another doctor, but at the moment I can't find one who takes my insurance. I'm from Germany and when I go back home I always go to my doctor there she is awesome... but I'm not going home till December and don't want to wait that long.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:05 AM
    From what I can tell (which isn't very much through a computer screen.. lol) it sounds like it is probably just old blood. Old blood is brown and is common before and after your period.

As for the possible yeast infection, I would suggest treating yourself. It is better to catch it early, that way you might not have to go through all of those annoying symptoms.

If you start having a yellow or greenish discharge, or white and clumpy like "cottage cheese", you should seek medical care any way you can. Those symptoms are a sign of infection and it is best to treat them rather than let them progress. :)

Aug 6, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Yeah it does sound like old blood. And the last two months my periods were rather short so it could be likely that it is.
    Thanks so much for your advice! I feel a lot better now. :)

Anja

PS: I love Velvet Revolver!
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 08:33 AM
    You're very welcome! :)

I love Velvet Revolver too, they are awesome! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Irregular period and brownish discharge [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on the because pills and later changed to the patches. However, the whole reason of getting on because pills was to make my menstruations regular. I have been off the patches for some time now, and My husband and I are trying to conceive.Well, I haven't had a period for 6 or more...

Late period, brownish blood/discharge [ 1 Answers ]

My period is about 3 days late and today I started to get some brownish discharge or blood it kind of looks like the end of my period. I'm not sure what going on. Does anyone know?

Brown discharge week before period! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I'm new in doing this and I haven't done anything like this before but I'm hoping that I can get a bit of help here :). Im 24 female and I have been on the pill for about 7 years,and have only been on two types of pill during that time.I have had some brown discharge like this before so...

View more questions Search