Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    genny37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Will the propylene glycol in nicotine liquid base for e-cigarettes cause ETG?
    I am using an electronic cigarette and the liquid may contain propylene glycol. Will this test positive on an EtG test? I am being monitored bi-monthly and am pretty paranoid about false positives.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
    It should not and there is no record of false positive to date. However, PG is an alcohol, it is metabolized by Alcohol Dehydrogenase ADH (same as ethanol) and about half is excreted as a glucuronide conjugate. My only worry would be a cross-reaction with EtG at the level of initial screening.

I am not at all familiar with e-cigarettes and don't know the quantity of PG contained. While it is unlikely that you would test positive it might be wise not to use the e-cigarette for about 12 hours prior to testing.

Don't believe it is a problem but there is no research that has specifically tested the reactivity of the various alcohols.

You are well advised to be careful when exposed to this test. There are thousands of environmental sources of ethanol that can cause a positive read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you get when you react propylene glycol and chromic acid [ 1 Answers ]

We mixed propylene glycol and potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid,so the question is what are the products?

Is Propylene Glycol in your pet's food or treats? [ 9 Answers ]

If it is please read the definition Websters dictionary from 1948. It is: a sweet, colorless, viscous liquid made from petroleum and otherwise, used as an ANTIFREEZE, germicide, solvent, etc. Would you eat ANTIFREEZE? Please stop feeding it to your pets! It is also found in cake mixes, makeup,...

View more questions Search