Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbootyb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2008, 02:45 PM
    What is the state law for age and relationships
    Hi my name is Amanda I am going out with a 17 year old and I am 14 is that Illegal I thought that the law was like no older then 3 years apart . Most girls my age and mabey even younger go out with guys older then that ! Also most guys these days have the mentality of a 10 year old so what is the problem don't take that harshley guys but sometimes you guys do act like your 10 years old!! So if you can tell me the actual and real answer to that then answer my question thank you!! :confused:
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 02:51 PM
    This link will give you the legal age, by state, for consent to sexual activity.

While what you are doing MAY be legal, at 14, if you were my daughter, and I found out
    You were with a 17 year old, the last thing you would have to worry about would be the
    Law.

Age of Consensual Sex in the USA
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 03:00 PM
    At 14 it would be illegal for a 17 year old to be sexual active with you and he can go to jail because you're a minor, and by law you can't consent to that. You can't consent to anything and you can't agree to anything. For example: if he gets you a cell phone,but you agree to pay the monthly bill its not binding because you're a minor and can't make those decision by law.

What does your parents said? Like the last poster if my daughter brought home a guy your age at your age, he better run for his life.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Moved to family law area for better answers

There is no law at all on dating, although I would hope any decent parent would never let a 14 year old child date a 17 year old

What the law addresses is having sex, a 14 year old can not have sex, period, illegal, anyone having sex with them is breaking the law.
    In the US the youngest age to have ability to consent is 16 and that is only some states, some states in the US is still 18.

So the age difference only applies to after they are old enough to give consent, and not 18 yet for those states with a sliding scale.

So you can date, but have sex, and he can go away to prison for many years, and be a registered sex offender the rest of his life.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2008, 06:43 PM
    No offence to you but in all my life I haven't ever known or known of a good 17 year old guy that would want anything to do with a 14 year old girl. That being said, unless your parents tell you you can't, you are free to date. But if anything even remotely sexual happens your parent can press charges and he will land in jail no ifs ands or buts about it. I have seen it happen and the guy is now on the sexual offenders registery with his picture, address, and work info and can be seen on the web site. And that was just for sexual misconduct (not actual penetration).
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 29, 2008, 07:19 PM
    This has to be a joke right??
    ily12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Who eva is having ex with a 18 or 19 year old is breaking the law but what if the parents don't care then what do you do, do you tell the police or just leave it up to them? Mhmm cause I don't know what to do about my mate
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 10:04 AM

This is a very old thread and should be closed. Text speak is not allowed on the legal boards. Please use full words and sentences.

Parents cannot consent to illegal activity and that is what underage sex is.

I have no idea what else you are asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 20 year old dating a married man. [ 20 Answers ]

I been dating a married man for almost two years now . I am 20 and he 29 year old handsome business man. Don't get me wrong I am not with him because of the money or his looks because I am not materialistic, I really love him. We are so emotionally attached. We really love each other. The worst...

17 yer old boy 14 year old girl dating? [ 3 Answers ]

OK so I'm a 17 year old male turing 18 in three months and I'm dating a 14 year old freshmen girl turning 15 in 2 months, I was wondering weather an intamate relationship is out of the questions? For example kissing, holding hands the works I understand the age of consent in Washington is 16 and...

I'm 15 and I just started dating a 17/18 year old.is that OK? [ 7 Answers ]

OK, so I am about 15 and 7 months old and I just started dating a guy that just turned 18.. I know that we can't have sex.. but can we still be intimate and hold hands/kiss? Or would that put both myself and him in a bad position? Is it against the law?

Any thoughts on dating for 41 year old divorced dad? [ 20 Answers ]

I want to get some feedback about a personal situation. I'm divorced for over 7 years. Never been in a relationship since the split-up. I have a 10 year old son who makes me incredibly happy! I see my son often but he does not live with me. I live about an hour away. I want to move...

View more questions Search