Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 01:18 AM
    Arc fault breakers
    I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions

1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets?

2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in the bedroom. I want to power the hallway outlet from the bedroom outlet. Do you see any problem with this. I figure the hallway outlet will most likely be used to power a vacumn.

Thank you
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2005, 05:03 AM
    You have no choice, any lights in a bedroom must be on the ARC fault circuit.

This includes any switches also. One thing you will need to check with a local inspector is if the required smoke detector needs to be on the ARC fault ciruit.

The code says that all wiring serving a bedroom must be ARC fault protected. However, the state I live amended the code to not require smoke detectors on the ARC fault circuit. This choice is unique to each state.

No problem connecting the hallway receptacle to the bedroom circuit.

Nov 5, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Arc Fault
    Thanks tkrussell,

The 2005 National Code book that I use for reference mentions that only receptacles in a bedroom need to be on an arc fault breaker. I have to check with local code. I'll check with a local inspector also on the smoke detectors.

Kidde now make wireless smoke detecors that interconnect wireless. That is real nice when you are working on a remodel. The come both hard wire and battery only.

As usual you are very helpful.

Thank you,
    Pierre
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Well I tried to keep it simple, but since you went there, I need you to refer to the NEC definition of an outlet.

Per NEC 2005 Article 100 Definitions- Outlet- "A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment"

Then refer to :

NEC 2005 Article 210 Sec 210.12(B) " All Branch circuits that supply 125 volt ...... outlets in dwelling units shall be protected by an arc fault circuit interrupter listed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit."

Sorry but the section in NEC on arc fault does not state " receptacles". The word "outlet", is the key. You use it as the place you insert the plug of a lamp, clock, TV, etc. This is not the definition that NEC uses for an "outlet".

The 'outlets" you are thinking of are called "receptacles" by NEC. A recess light fixture is considered an outlet by the NEC.

A hard wired smoke detector is also considered an outlet by NEC, as will any switch , or any device in a bedroom that uses 120 volts.

Now, regarding the smoke detector, if you are remodeling, the local inspector , nor NFPA, will not allow battery operated stand alone smoke detectors. Once you term the activity you are performing a "remodel" , and since you are installing new cable for the bedroom "outlets", you are obligated to install a hardwired 120 volt smoke detector with DC battery backup, that also is interconnected with all other detectors in the building.

This is where some states have amended the NEC, which they are allowed to do. Since a HW SD in a bedroom would be affected by a AFCI breaker shutting off the unit, this may leave the room without protection, since we all know how people are so good about installing fresh batteries. So many states have amended the code that will allow only the smoke detector in a bedroom to be the only outlet in a bedroom not protected by an AFCI.

I am glad to hear you will still check with the inspector. The detectors you mention will probably only be allowed in an existing building that has no protection, and is not being remodeled.

Nov 5, 2005, 03:34 PM
    Arc Fault
    Thanks again tkrussel,

I am really learning a lot from you. I'm sure I will have many more questions to you.

Pierre

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arch Fault Breakers [ 3 Answers ]

I installed AFCI breakers in a 100 amp panel. When the lights are turn on the breaker shut down the circuit. Everything is wired properly! Is there a special way to install AFCI breakers? Help Parcom

Recepticals and breakers [ 1 Answers ]

How many receptical can be put on a 20 amp breaker? Also would it be okay to put lampost lights on a breaker that services my basement? The total wattage would be 1055 watt. Thank you, Don

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

Circuit breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to up grade the amps going to my garage so I can run my saws and power tools with out dimming my shop lights. I currently have a old style fuse box in the garge feed with 12ga uf cable run off a 20amp circuit breaker in the service panel. My plans are to replace the fuse box with a new...

View more questions Search