Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olivya01 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
    D & C procedure
    I am scheduled for a D&C Friday!! Can anyone tell me what to expect?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
    I assume you have already gone in and filled out some paperwork and had some blood drawn?

The basics... may be slightly different in different areas:

When you arrive at the hospital, you will change into a hospital gown, get an IV, and wait for a time in the ambulatory or outpatient area. You can usually have a family member there with you.
    When it is your turn, and sometimes things can get backed up so you may wait a bit longer than you expected, you will likely go into the recovery area. Family members often can go back as well, but sometimes they will just go wait in the waiting room at this point. They will ask more questions about allergies, etc. and give you some meds to help you relax. You may go out, or at least not remember much from that point, or you may remember glimpses of things as you go into the operating room.
    The whole procedure is pretty quick... when done, you will go back to the recovery area for a little while until you wake up and then often back to outpatient recovery. Once you can get up, use the toilet, have something to drink and feel pretty good, you can go home. You will need someone to drive you though.
    You will have some slight bleeding or discharge for a bit and that will taper off after a few days. You'll remember bits and pieces leading up to the procedure, and afterwards, but nothing of the actual procedure itself. I've had two this year and the worst part, for me, was when one nurse had trouble getting the IV in... the rest of it was a piece of cake!
    The thought of it is much worse than the actual event... most of your time there will be spent just waiting for your turn... :)

Aug 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Is it very painful afterwards? Will I be up moving later in the day?
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
    At the most, you might have a bit of cramping, but I didn't even really have anything noticeable. Yes, you will be fine that same day, but best to plan to take it easy for the rest of the day. You may, or may not, be a little sore, and you may still feel a bit drowsy/comfy from the anesthesia for a bit.

Aug 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Well I go in Friday for one last ultrasound ( I guess to make sure) then I go straight over to the hospital! They said I am miscarrying but my body won't fully let the pregnancy go so that's why I have to have the procedure done! My first ultrasound I saw nothing but the sac so I knew something was wrong!
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Sorry to hear you are having it done due to a miscarriage. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Aug 13, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Thanks for your help it makes me feel a lot better!! :)

Aug 14, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Does anyone know how long the procedure takes once they get started ?
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Once they actually get started it will only take about 20 minutes or so. Most of the time is spent waiting prior to the procedure and recovery afterwards.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I had to have an emergency D&C almost three years ago due to miscarriage. I started hemorraghing.

I can say this, I went in to the hospital in unbearable pain, lost allot of blood and had to be rushed in for a D & C. Of course I was under anesthetic for the procedure, and when I woke up I felt fine. Slight bleeding for a few days, but other then that no problems.

Don't worry about a thing, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Aug 20, 2008, 08:29 AM
    I had my d&c procedure Friday the 15th and I am still bleeding!! Is this normal? I am not heavy bleeding and not really cramping but it still kind of freaks me out!!
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Many women will stop bleeding after several days, but tt can be normal to have some bleeding for a week or two. Usually it will become less and less as the days go by. If it continues longer that that, or stays very heavy, give your doctor a call so they can be informed. If they feel you need to be seen, they will of course let you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hsg procedure [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying for about a year now. This month I am having a hsg done. Checking tubes to see if they are blocked. Does anyone know if this procedure is very painfull

Foreclosure procedure [ 1 Answers ]

I sold property & carried the note on a first deed of trust. They have quit making payments and they will not return my calls. I will be sending a demand letter to them to bring up payments or I will start foreclosure in 10 days. My questions is what do I do if they don't bring up the payments? Is...

D&c procedure after miscarriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my name is louise this is my first time using this site as I have been searching for an answer which I cannot find hence that's why I'm here.Tuesday morning I got a refferal to the hospital to have a scan as I am 10 weeks pregnant but started to have a lot of cramping and brown discharge.So...

Procedure for a summons [ 2 Answers ]

I was named on a Civil Suit with another person. This person was served the summons with my name on it also. Does that mean I am served also, or do they still need to serve me paper on the suit? Also, I am not even in the same country and haven't been for several months. Do, they have to serve...

View more questions Search