Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherokee1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 05:24 AM
    C/S required after 18 if court ordered and child lives with no custodial by choice?
    ... court ordered decree of 1996 states c/s to cont after age 18 if child remains in sec education. Father attempts to exercise age emanicipation, but cont to pay a reduced amt. by my insistence; however both children chose to live with Dad for school choice at age 15. He always paid same amt until age 18 even after remarriage with 3 new dependents. Can I lose support altogether if insistence is pursued to pay past 18?
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

May 17, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee1
    .....court ordered decree of 1996 states c/s to cont after age 18 if child remains in sec education. Father attempts to exercise age emanicipation, but cont to pay a reduced amt. by my insistence; however both children chose to live with Dad for school choice at age 15. He always paid same amt until age 18 even after remarriage with 3 new dependents. Can I lose support altogether if insistence is pursued to pay past 18?
    In my state, You pay child support until the child is 18. If they are 18 however and still in high school.. the support continues to the end of that school year. I had to pay for my oldest son for almost a year after he turned 18. Check with your local district atty's office for you area laws.
    amber-doo Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

May 24, 2008, 01:43 AM
    Sounds like you are expecting child support even though the children do not live with you. If this is the case, doesn't that defeat the purpose. If you are not caring for the children, you shouldn't get that support. If you were granted alamony you would still be intitled to it...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Well first there was no legal reason for them to live with him at 15. He should have wentback to court to get custody when they lived with him.
    And he should have stopped child support payments then.

Of course he does not owe child support if they are with him and going to college, in fact he should go to court and get you to pay him.
    amber-doo Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

May 28, 2008, 01:14 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck. Maybe he wasn't smart about continuing child support even though the kids were living with him. But, why push the issue? He may decide to fight you and get the courts to order you to pay child support. And, just because there is no legal reason for the kids to live with their father, it is still their decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspened drivers license for non-pymt of court ordered child-support. [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if and how I can go about getting my license back now that my son has turned 18 years old and is no longer considered a ward of the state. Who do I contact, or what procedures do I need to take? :confused:

Court ordered visitation [ 3 Answers ]

I have refused to keep my child. She is 15 years old. My ex-husband went to court and got some kind of court orders for me to have visitation. The orders state that I was sent a letter for this hearing I never received such a letter. Do I have to follow these orders to visit my child if I do not...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

Court ordered visitation [ 51 Answers ]

Can the mother of my child make it so that my parents cannot pick up my child for the time till I get home from work? Court order states that I get him for a mid week visit.

View more questions Search