Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yeshua68 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Debt to Capitalization
    What is the difference between Debt to Capitalization and Total Debt to Equity? I'm looking at my company which has on its financial report that its debt to capitalization is 36.6% FYE 2008 and 37% FYE 2007. I've been looking up info on debt to capitalization but I'm not sure what this is trying to tell me.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 04:21 PM

It's actually comparing the same set of numbers, but in a different way. Personally I think debt to equity is a little weird and my mind, while understanding the math, doesn't really make sense of it.

The accounting definition of capital is the same as equity. But the finance definition (which is what this is) of capital is equity and long-term debt. That is, all the financing, both debt & equity. So by saying "capitalization" it's including the long-term debt.

So the difference between the two is that one divides by equity only and the other divides by both the long-term debt and the equity.

Debt to capitalization: Long-term debt/long-term debt + equity
    So it's a percent of all of the financing including itself.

Debt to equity: Long-term debt/equity
    So it's a percent of just the equity, which is the one I find a bit odd.

So if long-term debt is 10,000 and equity is 15,000:
    Debt to capitalization: 10,000/25,000 = 40%
    Debt to equity: 10,000/15,000 = 67%
    It's just two different ways to look at the same thing.

I look at it from the accounting equation point of view (perhaps cause I'm an accounting person, not a finance person):
    25,000 = 10,000 + 15,000

The 40% is what percent debt is of the entire right side.
    The 67% is what percent debt is of only the equity.
    (Note that I ignored short-term stuff just to simplify.)

Now whether those numbers are good or bad depends on other factors, like what industry it is, and for that matter, whose opinion it is. I personally like to see less debt.

More reading about debt:
    Debt Ratios: Introduction

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Building Capitalization vs Expensing [ 2 Answers ]

Over the last 3 years I have been renovating a building I purchased. In 2007 I finally am running my business out of this building. Over the last 3 years I have paid real estate taxes, insurance, mortgage interest and utility bills. How do I handle each of these items on my tax return? Can I...

Capitalization when filing [ 1 Answers ]

When do you file capital names? Before or after? See example DOE, JOHN Doe, John

View more questions Search