Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Apr 29, 2008, 03:28 AM
    Will it kill my plants?
    It has been so nice latley that I planted all my flowers and my garden, only the tomatoes are above ground the rest of the veggies are seed, problem is we had a freak snow storm today after the weather has been in the 80's! I did not know it was coming, will this kill all my plants? Will I have to re-plant everything?:(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 03:58 AM
    If the ground had already been warmed up the seeds will be okay, but how did your tomatoe plants look ? If they were wilted, they may not survive and chances are you may have to replant. What is geographical area ? In Ontario Canada we traditionally plant after May lst.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Don't take a chance . Cover the tomatoes . They will die in a frost . Get a garden quilt
    GardenQuilt Cover

Or in a pinch a thick plastic bag and a box,sheets etc . Will suffice . Hopefully the cold spell will break quicky.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 05:11 AM
    We had a farm in Michigan for a number of years and always planted after May lst. Frost was always a problem in that area so in order to safeguard our tomatoe investment we used the 3L milk jugs cut out at the bottom and the screw top off to put over each plant. This not only kept them safe from extreme weather conditions (frost, snow, etc.) the opague milk container acted like a mini greenhouse for each plant. When the plant was twice its planting size, the container would be taken off.

Garden quilts were not in our budget at the time.
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Apr 29, 2008, 06:40 AM
    I live in Ohio, usually it is OK to plant now, the last frost usually has passed by the end of April, everyone in my town has planted so I am not alone. I did cover the tomatoes when I saw the snow, it was wet snow, like sleet, the tomatoes looked OK then. My marigolds collaped under the weight of the snow will they spring back up? The weather did not even call for snow yesterday, I swear that is why we are always getting sick here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to plant in direct sun under a window [ 2 Answers ]

What is a good plant to plant in the south west corner of a home under a window

Native Plants [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know where we may get some Alabama Native Plants, Shrubs, Trees or Flowers near the Birmingham Al area?

Plants [ 1 Answers ]

How does the mass of a plant increase with its growth

Respiration of plants [ 3 Answers ]

How does temperature affect the rate of respiration in a plant?

Plants [ 1 Answers ]

Why have flowering plants been so successful in surviving in a variety of habitats?

View more questions Search