Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lmag46 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 04:13 PM
    My mother has a couple living at her home who do not pay rent.
    The couple has lived there for 3 years. They do not pay rent take care of the home or help with yard work. They occasionally accompany my mother to the dr whomis her dr as well. Recently we had an insrance claim and now this couple wants to be reimbursed . They claim most of the things damaged were theirs. We were unaware they were using the basement for storage. I say they have no rights , I have offered them however, money for 2 major items, but they want more. What can I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Rent or not they have established residency. Your insurance company has to review the policy to find if the property of others is covered, likely it is. Did you collect money from insurance for some items that turn out to be theirs?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Does your insurance know that there are "renters" living in the house ? Do you know if the house is zoned for multiple families ?

But if they are living there, it depends on their agreement or arrangement, are they family, why are they living there without paying rent, But normally they would or should have their own insurance. They can make a claim against her insurance for their items, unless she listed their items on her loss.

Apr 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
    They are not renters. The house is not zoned for multiple families. They are not family, they are friends of my mothers. They arre living there,because they lost their home and my father passed away a year before that so my mother told them to move in because she wanted someone there for her. I believe everything is being claimed as one, this was done without my approval.

Apr 19, 2012, 10:14 AM
    How can they have established residency when they are guests. They have nothing in their name. No bills or even have mail to the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does father need to pay rent for my son, when I'm living on my own [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am Kayla from South Africa My baby's dad and I have not been together since we found out I was pregnant, he is active in my sons life, and does get him every 2nd weekend for visitations and stay overs-as I have allowed him to do so. I am still living with my parents at the...

Is children's father liable to pay rent for his children if he kicks the mother out? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been living together for 8 years. We have never been married. We have 3 children together.He owns the house we live in (in TN).He now wants to kick me out.The children are coming with me.I am currently trying to get disability and have no income. Would he be liable to pay...

If a couple rent a home together, who has the right to evict one of the parties? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and his wife are getting a divorce. They rent their home together. She is asking him to move out. Who has the right to ask the husband to leave, the wife or Lessor?

Agreement form for someone who will be living rent free in my home home [ 4 Answers ]

At my invitation, a young couple will be moving into the 3rd level of my home until their financial situation eases. The space has a large living room, a small kitchen that I'm putting in for them, a large walk in-closet, bathroom, bedroom, and access to a laundry room. How can I word an agreement...

Tenants living in my home no rent has been paid and 30 day notice given [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have the right to change locks on house after 30 day notice was given and has expir ed tenants did not give me back the keys They have been living in that house for 2 years not paying any rent and no contract was every given between me and them I bought the house let them move in and they...

View more questions Search