Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kulakat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Blank screen after xp splash screen and then hangs
    My colleagues and I work in a tech environment and we have seen several computers with the same symptoms. Namely a failure to boot xp. After the xp logo screen the screen goes to blank and it just hangs.

This looks like a graphics card fault but changing card does nothing.
    Booting into safe mode and it stops at agp driver.
    Repairing windows gives a lsass.exe error which cannot be resolved.
    Scanning hard drive reveals no viruses.

So far we have had to reformat and reload xp - but I just got another computer with same fault symptoms. I'm wondering if anyone has similar findings and have they discovered cause/fix.
    There is a small possibility that an av update may have been cause, but no way to confirm this.
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Try to cheek all the system component and detect any one that have from power supply unit
    orangebeard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 06:54 PM
    Below is what I posted on another board... perhaps a SP you're applying is corrupt? Or is not finishing properly/getting interrupted? I would re-download the service packs you're applying. If you're using an UA disc, then perhaps back to the nLite drawing board?

--

I didn't put the two together right away because it worked fine for a couple of restarts, however, then the screen on this XPS M1210 went blank as described above. The culprit turned out to be the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3). Apparently during clean-up, the tech working on the issue thought the installer froze, or was in a loop as it was "Cleaning up" for the better part of an hour. They force quit and then restarted to find that SP3 was installed and there were no error messages reported. They thought their job was done and the case was closed until the startup problem arose.

I had to go back and figure out the problem and decided to use System Restore to roll-back to a date prior to SP3 being installed. That completed successfully, I then reinstalled SP3-- this time I waited the hour for the clean up to finally complete. I then rebooted the system and it started up fine. Since then I have restarted multiple times and it looks good so far (it's been 3 days). Updating the video drivers will not work and you will be wasting your time trying to find another fix... I hope it works for you!
    -MR

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pc not booting past Splash Screen [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My PC isn't booting into the windows XP Splash screen. It reaches just about that stage and reboots. I updated the BIOS. Switched the RAM. Used other (known working) drives. Took out the sound card and all the others cards. Still nothing Regards

Monitor screen blank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension XPS-B533r. The PC starts, but beeps three times. The power button on the PC is not lit but the fan is running and there is an orange light on the cpu that is lit. The monitor turns on but the screen remain black. The status light on the monitor is flashing green. The monitor...

Blank screen on start up [ 3 Answers ]

OK... I built my comp w/ a iwill kd266 & amd tbird 1.1 ghz I recently opened to add a dvd drive and when I reconnected everything and turned it on, the screen remains blank... 512 mb SDRAM 80 gb hd 52x CD-Rom 16x DVD-Rom 48x CD-RW ati radeon 7000 64 mb pci soundblaster 5.1 belkin 10/100...

Blank screen [ 3 Answers ]

While on the internet my computer froze up and when I did control alt delete my screen went blank with all wavy lines. I shut the machine off and sbooted up again only to get the blank screen with wavy lines. No matter what I try I cannot get to my desktop. Can anyone help? :eek:

Blank screen at start-up [ 2 Answers ]

At each cold start, the screen remains blank. Only after two restarts or resets, screen comes up and everything works correctly.? Have put in another videocard (GF2) and then monitor display came up at first try. Then tried my videocard (GF4Ti4200) in another PC and worked properly as well....

View more questions Search