Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 04:44 AM
    The President's Day
    Listened to part of a replay of the President's address to the community college yesterday(for the record, the official White House transcript clocked in at just under 6,500 words... he rambled on for 54 minutes ).He touted it as a major policy address .In fact it was a rehash of previously regurgitated pablum.
    He was on his blame Congress kick again.

Interesting that he never manages to mention that he desires a Democrat Congress next year. Maybe he doesn't ?
    How does he plan to solve the grid lock if he wins and Republicans retain the House ?

From there he and Michelle flew into NYC on an official Presidential visit (good way to campaign on the taxpayer's dime... those complaining about money in politics should love this move) . He signed a beam that will go into the Freedom Tower (yes I still call it the Freedom Tower instead of the generic 1 World Trade Center that the politically correct crowd prefers ) .

He did this in the middle of rush hour . For those unfamiliar with lower Manhattan ;the area around the WTC is the oldest area of the city with narrow roads .It is a natural choke point where traffic is never ideal unless you happen to be an early bird who drives in as the sun is rising . Many of those roads were blocked off . In addition ;the Path Train station that brings commuters in and out of the city from New Jersey was closed at the WTC . That meant that commuters leaving work had to make their way ,in already crowded subways ,uptown to around 33rd Street ,and then hoof it to the Path station there .
    Maybe that was his way of sticking it to the 1%ers ,but of course ,most of the people who work downtown are not 1%ers..

Speaking of 1%ers ;those filthy, not paying enough taxes, rich deadbeats;he finished the day as celebrity in chief ;hob nobbing with the elites of NY at a fundraiser hosted by Sarah Jessica Parker and Vogue editor Anna Wintour at Parker's New York City home .It was a good opportunity for filling his campaign coffers (Tickets cost $40,000... for many of those 99% commuters inconvenienced earlier ,that represents their annual pay or more ).

To finish off the night ;the Obamas headed for a second fundraiser at the Plaza Hotel, where 250 people paid $10,000 each.

Oh yeah... Parker's hubby Matt Broderick had to work so he did not attend the fundraiser she hosted . He’s starring in the Gershwin musical “Nice Work if You Can Get It” . That could be the metaphor for the whole day.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Oh my, even the media panned his speech. I mean how can you spew the same clichés for 4 years and make them sound new?

MSNBC Panel’s Verdict On Obama Campaign Speech: It Stinks

Skip the falsehoods, Mr. President, and give us a plan -Dana Milbank

President Obama’s Speech Gets A Thumbs Down From Political Press Corps
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
    That would be because the compliant press keeps publishing polls that says the blame shifting ,the 'it's Bush's fault " strategery is working .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Hello:

I'll let you guys fight it out. One of you says the media is NOT in Obama's pocket as we've been hearing for years on end, and the other of you is sticking with the old tired right wing saw..

Wake me when it's over.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
    WAKE UP.. I didn't dispute that the President's speech was so obviously lame that even his supporters on the liberal punditry couldn't ignore that fact.
    At the same time ,it was widely reported in the compliant press aka the dinosaurs ,that most people still blame Bush.
    Poll finds more blame Bush than Obama for economy - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
    Americans say Bush still more to blame than Obama for economy - ABC News
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Chris Matthews is doing his part to leave Obama completely out of the discussion.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Tom when are you going to realise the mistakes take years to work through the system. Your people would not have been so eager to attack Iraq if it meant there would be a tax levy to finance the war and the housing bubble; you want to blame Obama because the actual bust took place on his watch?

Exactly what is you think Bush is not responsible for?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Americans say Bush still more to blame than Obama for economy - ABC News
    Hello tom:

I don't know. Let me think of analogy. Ok, here's one. Let's say your daughter had a run in with a bad doctor, ohhhhh, about 5 years ago. She's doing better today, but you think she should be cured, and you're mad at her PRESENT doctor.. The doctor that DID the bad medicine on her in gets a pass... In real life, you wouldn't be so forgiving... You know it, and I know it.

MOST people get that Bush broke it SOOOO bad, that Obama couldn't cure it in 4 years.. Some people on the right give Bush a pass. I have NO IDEA why. Neither do most of us.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
    What gets me the most and why I don't find surprising that people still blame bush. Is the fact that if a lie is repeated over and over it may become truth to the believers. Obama just recycles same old crap. He hasn't added anything new to the discussion ever. The man is a puppet president for the elites.

Obama speeches 'exactly same' a year apart
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
    The economy was in far worse shape in 1981 with double digit inflation ,unemployment and interest rates in the stratosphere. Yet within 3 years time ,Reagan not only reversed a decade of bad economic management ,but had the economy growing at rates of above 4% for an extended period ,reduced the inflation and interest rates .
    Ex a better analogy is if my daughter became ill and the doctor she went to misdiagnosed her ,and prescribed the wrong medicine.
    Sooner or later the President will have to show results .These are not the days of FDR ;where he was rewarded with 2 terms of failure ;and a 3rd because a war was on the horizon. Roosevelt made the same class warfare argument in 1936 that the Dems make today . Came 1940 and his policies had STILL not succeeded ;and there would've been no recovery with his failed Keynes plan if there wasn't a surge in demand to supply the war effort.
    I don't know why everyone clings to Keynes . Even JFK realized a supply side solution would work.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 02:25 AM
    When the President talks about the mess he "inherited " ,he conveniently leaves out the role he played in the debacle. When the President was a "community organizer " he played a dual role of suing banks to lower credit requirements for home purchases ;and encouraged poor ,mostly minorities ,to take on mortgage commitments they could not afford.

Under marching orders by then Att General Janet Reno ,and her aid Eric Holder ,community organizer lawyers like Obama were encouraged to to file local lending bias cases against banks.This enabled minorities to purchase sub prime mortgages. Obama led a class action suit against Citibank on behalf of Selma Buycks-Roberson and others . Citibank settled .

Austan Goolsbee, who later became Obama's top economist, wrote in a New York Slimes column that sub prime morgages allowed poor blacks "access to mortgages."Today Obama blames sub prime morgages on greedy predatory lending practices that he helped force on the banks .

Citibank went on to underwrite thousands of subprime mortgages to satisfy the court in Obama's case. When home prices collapsed, most of the loans went bust.Selma Buycks-Roberson ,who had been denied a loan by Citibank due to a bad credit rating and low income before the suit foreclosed in 2008,
    The Black community was the hardest hit by the bubble busted ,that the likes of Obama ,and then HUD boss Andrew Cuomo helped create .

Obama has no intention of backing down from the mistakes made either .He has directed Eric Holder to prosecute banks that don't ease lending requirements in poor minority neighborhoods.
    So when he speaks of inheritting the economy ,I hope Romney makes it very clear that the President was a key actor in creating the economic environment that led to the downturn.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
    Yes Tom he was a one man tidal wave, which makes you wonder if one man who did not have any political power could do so much? What is holding you back? You have given this man the status of a demigod, a mover of mountains and all this before he was stupid enough to become part of the system. Just imagine what he could have done if he had just stayed on the ground?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 03:06 AM
    His role in undisputable. I did not say he did it by himself. He was but one instrument of a bad idea. Chalk it off to the unintended consequences of "progressive " policies .

But for him to ignore his role and claim it is a situation he "inheritted " is dishonest. It is just a fact that promoting subprime mortgages for minority home purchasers is a policy he pursued in the court room ,and on the street.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 05:46 AM
    His role in undisputable. I did not say he did it by himself. He was but one instrument of a bad idea. Chalk it off to the unintended consequences of "progressive " policies .

But for him to ignore his role and claim it is a situation he "inheritted " is dishonest. It is just a fact that promoting subprime mortgages for minority home purchasers is a policy he persued in the court room ,and on the street.
    Tom it is not dishonest. He did not legislate to make it possible, he may have lobbied but you are saying he convinced republicans to embrace a progressive policy, Shame! He did not securitise the bad loans to get them off the bank balance sheet, he did not sell the dud securities all over the world. Yes he advocated that disadvantaged people be given an opportunity, but not that the banks forgo prudential behaviour, now if the government guaranteed the loans, that is not Obama's fault, he did not legislate that. Start putting the blame where it belongs; on your lame brained politicians who were buying votes.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 06:04 AM
    yes he advocated that disadvantaged people be given an opportunity, but not that the banks forgo prudential behaviour,
    That just defies the facts. It was the policies ,the executive and judicial pressure that compelled the banks to forgo prudential behavior. They had a formula for deciding on loans that was economically sound ,that they were forced to change to riskier unsound loans . That they later tried to make the best of a situation that was forced on them contributed to the bubble that is true... but the core problem was the policies.. Policies that Bush inheriited by the way... but of which I do not absolve him from his share of the responsibility .
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 06:23 AM
    ..Policies that Bush inheriited btw... but of which I do not absolve him from his share of the responsibility .
    But you also expect Obama to clean up the mess of previous administrations while tying his hands behind his back. To get out of this in the way you would like requires massive restructuring, whole industries need to go so the government doesn't need to subsidise them, cost plus contracts need to be removed from military spending, etc, etc. that restructing needs to start in the legislature with a ban on stapling boondoggles to bills
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
    tying his hands behind his back
    How so ? If you mean I think his time for frivilous stimulus spending is over then yes... that is what the 2010 election was all about .

Yesterday he again showed his contempt for the Constitution and Congress with his "temporary" amnesty. You think the Republican opposition allow him to operate without the restraints defined in the Constitution ?
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
    Bottom line... after 3 1/2 years Obama owns the economy . He can't defend his performance so he tries the same old tired trope. That is why his attention is amnesty ,same sex marriage and contraception.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
    Well Romney seems to be a pathological liar so you guys have a problem on your hands.
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Well Romney seems to be a pathological liar so you guys have a problem on your hands.
    No karma these guys fit right in, egotistical liars are welcome in Washington

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President's assault on banks [ 22 Answers ]

To continue observations I made yesterday (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/current-events/coakley-concedes-436941-3.html) ; the President basically is attempting to bring back Glass-Steagal, abolished by Clinton in 1999.He wants to get banks out of the private equity business,preventing the banks...

The President's Afghanistan strategery [ 55 Answers ]

The King of France went up the hill With 30,000 men, The King of France came down the hill, And ne'er went up again! July 4,2011 Mark it on your calendar Mullah Omar . That is the artificial date when the President says that US troops will begin their withdrawal from Afghanistan . Then he...

The President's Cairo Speech [ 13 Answers ]

I have read it twice. Still can't find anything new and different in it. The White House - Press Office - Remarks by the President at Cairo University, 6-04-09 I guess it is not as important what was said as who said it??

A President's Test [ 4 Answers ]

The LAPD, The FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test. He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it. The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They...

View more questions Search