Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leechaolan Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Linksys router IP address is not online
    Hi guys, I'd appreciate any help about my router.

Just two days ago while I was watching South Park online, my internet suddenly went off. I've tried unplugging the modem and router and turning it back on. (this is what I normally do and it always works) However this time, nothing happened. I'm able to access the internet when directly connected to the modem. I'm also able to connect whenever I attach the modem to the router through the "internet" input and insert another cable into the "1,2,3,4" slots.

For some reason, I just can't seem to get any wireless. All of the lights on the router are lit and blinking (except for the one that says DMZ). I've googled my problem and tried resetting it as advised. But for some reason, I can't get past the 1st configuration step of the instructions from this site:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2091718_set-...ss-router.html

Whenever I type in http://192.168.1.1/ on internet explorer, (web browser) I always get sent to a page that says "cannot find server". Am I doing anything wrong?

I doubt that my router is permanently broken or anything. It's plugged into the same surge protector as my modem and nothing's wrong with the modem.

If anyone can help, please do. I'd appreciate it. Sorry if this was asked already
    mindtab Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Aug 29, 2009, 07:46 PM

I assume you were able to connect wireless-ly before.
    1. Let's deal with logging into the router by itself. Connect your ethernet cable from your computer eth.slot to your router's LAN slot (not the WAN or internet slot)
    If you have reset it (which you can do by holding down the red button in the back and holding it down for 30sec, release, power unplug/replug), then you'd log in to either 192.168.0.1 or 1.1
    Try both. Admin (or admin) and pass blank.

When you've reset the router, all your custom settings are gone, including your WEP/WPAx wireless keys that you may have set. So, you have to set them again. Don't forget to put your admin password on the router as well.

Also, you'd have to reinput your WAN and Network connection info in the Setup tab again.

If you didn't reset the router, try to connect to it while wired (as mentioned in first sentence above). If you can connect to it and all settings are correct, including your wireless settings and keys, than check your wireless connection setup on your computer that your are trying to use wirelessly.

The connection manager used may be misbehaving on your computer.
    jimrockford Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2009, 09:33 PM

Before you reset your router to the factory defaults, try this to make sure you are connecting to the correct IP address for your router:

1. With your computer connected to the router using a network cable, go to Start -> Run -> and enter cmd.
    2. Enter ipconfig /all in the Command Prompt window that opened in step 1.
    3. Find a section called Local Area Connection or something similar. The name could vary.
    4. In that section, look for a listing called Default Gateway. It should have an IP address listed for it. Normally, it will be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 10.0.0.1, but it could be anything.
    5. Substitute that IP address in the instructions you've been trying to run through.

One other thing to try:

InSSIDer is a free utility that will show you what wireless networks your computer can see and the signal strength for each of them.

You can download it from this site:

inSSIDer Download Site
    leechaolan Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 07:28 PM

OK, thanks guys. (although it's a bit delayed) I had to end up buying a new router but I still appreciate the hep. Something was wrong with the antenna.
    manginosuks Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 07:32 PM
    How often shoud I update my firmware on the router and after I update do I need to unplug and plug back in my modem and router after the update?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Slow linksys WRT45G Router [ 2 Answers ]

:mad::mad:I have a linksys wrt54g router and a couple of days ago I notesced thethe internet spped dropped from 2mb/s too 0.16mb/s . I need help with this problem and if there area anyone who thinks thy have a solution thanks in advanced:)

Linksys router and connection issue [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a Linksys router. 2.4 Ghz. I run one desktop PC that is wired to it, and a laptop that connects wirelessly. My trouble is this. I have second laptop that will not connect to it. It says "out of range" it can be sitting right next to it. The laptop will connect anyplace else. Just...

Linksys router not working with Iphone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a Linksys WRT54G wireless-G broadband router. It works fine with my desktop and laptop wirelessly not until I use it with my Iphone. The Iphone can detect the router and can even join it after typing the password. But much to my dismay I can't surf the Net and could not even open...

Linksys router configuration [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I recently bought a Linksys wireless router. I have one desktop and laptop I am able to access the Internet when I hardwired my laptop / desktop to Modem. (which is what is there now). . I want to connect my laptop in "wireless" mode to the router and access internet. I tried accessing...

View more questions Search