Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Extending the exhaust hose? :)
    Hello.

I have just had a portable air conditioner delivered which is fantastic, I got it from a UK company called B&Q and it's a 10,000 BTU. It arrived with a 1.5metre exhaust hose which isn't long enough, currently, we have it working by it going round another door and the hot air going into another room which has a window open (not ideal... ).

Is there a way these exhaust hoses can be extended? I realise they're just like the tumble-drier exhaust hoses and are extendable to what you want, but we need it to be ideally 4metres long.

Can you advise any places you can order it from or so forth? I have contacted the supplier but they normally take a while to reply and thought this would be an ideal place to ask!

I've done some research on the Internet and found answers such as these (so it must be possible):

Code:
    How can I extend the exhaust hose?

You may purchase more exhaust hosing at your local hardware store and either replace the hose entirely or connect the hose provided with the portable air conditioner to the new hose. The new hosing must be the same diameter as the exhaust hose provided with the unit. If you cannot find a similar hose, plastic piping can be used. However, you should note that the longer the exhaust hose gets, the less efficiently the portable air conditioner will cool. Generally speaking, you should avoid making the exhaust hose longer than 9-10 feet unless you devise some sort of exhaust fan to help clear the exhaust hose. Also please note that any 90° or greater turns in the exhaust hose substantially decrease the effective length of the exhaust hose.
    And a few other sites with similar replies.
    Just to mention, I'm in the UK.

Many thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 05:16 PM
    I don't quite understand how the thing works. Does it set out in a room and blow the heated air out the hose to the outside somehow? Do you have stores that sell dryers and exhaust hose for them? I could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and choose from several styles of exhaust hose. If you such similar stores, you should be able to find what you need. For a light duty job like that, you should be able to solve any connection problems with duct tape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exhaust for YZ250F [ 1 Answers ]

What recommendations do you have on getting an after market exhaust that is US Forest Service approved for my YZ250F.

Portable AC Exhaust Hose [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Is there some sort of trick to make the exhaust hose stay in place? Despite my best efforts, it wants to slip out of place both on the back of The portable AC unit as well as from the connector in the window. What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tricks on how to make the connection, ...

Extending spa feed [ 2 Answers ]

I have existing 220v wiring (outdoors) for a spa that I want to extend another 15 ft. in order to hide the panel from view. Do I have to re-wire the run, or can I just extend it with a junction box and another 15 ft. of cable/wire? I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance...

Extending pipe under toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently moved into a townhouse and wanted to fix it up a little by installing laminate floors in my bathroom. I currently have linoleum on my floors and figured that once I replaced the linoleum with the laminate it may shorten the pipe underneath of my toilet. Is it possible for me to...

Exhaust vent [ 4 Answers ]

We have a new furnace located in the basement with a PVC exhaust pipe. The exhaust exits the house through the wall at the floor joists and is turned down toward the ground with a 90 degree elbow. Is this a common practice? I just assumed that it would exhaust through the roof as the old systems...

View more questions Search