Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevsgeni Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 12:42 PM
    "public records"
    When a search for "public records" is done on Yahoo! 229 million results come back. The majority of the results are for companies that offer public records searches for a fee. If they are public records, why is there a fee? Where are they getting their information?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kevsgeni
    If they are public records, why is there a fee? Where are they getting their information?
    The fee is for the service, not the records themselves. The service is that someone has 1. Learned where to get them, 2. Learned howto get them, 3. actually got them, and 4. compiled them.

What type of public records are you looking for?
    kevsgeni Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I would like records that could aid in finding a missing person (address, phone #, etc). I would like to know where to find the info without paying someone. I can do the research but haven't been able to find a free site.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 10:15 AM
    You are speaking of a "trade" that involves training and experience.

Get a good book. The one that I started with was You Can Find Anybody, by Joseph Culligan.

At your local library, see what they have near 363.2336. Any book of that nature will cover the basics well.

What sources you go after will depend on what you know about the person to begin with, like where they went to school (check with the Alumni Assoc. if they have one), if they are in a trade for which they must be licensed (to get info from the State), where they lived, worked or went to church (to ask neighbors, employers and pastors), etc...

Don't forget Google, too. Search for "firstname lastname", "firstname middleinitial lastname", "lastname firstname" and "last name firstname middleinitial" (use the quotes).

... just some starters, hope it helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search