Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ferg80us Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 10:11 AM
    Leaking drain pipe in slab
    I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know where it is damaged to fix the pipe. What is the best way to attack something like this? I was recommended to remove the bottom cabinets, the countertobs and start removing part of the slab in the kitchen.
    What would you recommend?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 27, 2005, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ferg80us
    I have a drain pipe coming from my sink that is backing up into my kitchen floor. It seems that has ate away at the concrete and the water is backing up through the damaged pipe through a hole located under my sink and bottom cabinets. I can see the where the water is coming out but I don't know where it is damaged to fix the pipe. What is the best way to attack something like this? I was recommended to remove the bottom cabinets, the countertobs and start removing part of the slab in the kitchen.
    What would you recommend?
    We need more details before we can help. How old is your house? What's the pipe made of? PVC? Galvanized? Does it go into the wall or run through the bottom of the cabinet? Are you on a slab or is this a basement sink? Answer me and I'll get right back to you. Regards, Tom
    ferg80us Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 05:20 PM
    The drain pipe is running inside the slab in my kitchen underneath the sink area. I believe it is Galvanized, but I'm a new homeowner and do not know a lot about this. The house was built in 1964. The pipe leaks most when there is a lot of water pressure running through the sink and it also leaks when my dishwasher is in use. So I'm assuming they both share the same drain pipe. I pulled up one of my bottom cabinets underneath the sink and found a small hole in the slab where the water is leaking. Almost like the water deteriorated the concrete. IF I run small amounts of water at a time it won't leak.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 28, 2005, 05:59 AM
    I'm back to my original questions.
    What's the pipe made of? Copper? Galvanized? Does it go into the wall or run through the bottom of the cabinet?
    Scrape the pipe with a knife. If it's silver it's galvanized, if it's redish it's copper. Look in the cabinet, does the pipe go from the trap into the wall or is it a "S" trap that runs from the trap down through the floor? Pokearound the edge of the hole and break off any pieces that are ate up or deteriorated.
    In other words clean up the hole. Are you left with a hole that we can run a patch on or is the pipe so ate up it will have to be replaced? Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Tub and gopher under slab [ 2 Answers ]

HELP!! Our bathtub shower has started leaking and the water is running into our sons room onto his carpet. His room is located next to the bathroom, but not next to the pipes! The plumber is stumped! He cut a hole in our daughter's wall (which is next to the bathroom and the pipes in the tub). ...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Drain pipe leaking [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: under my kitchen I have drain pipes that run to a large pipe that goes down into ground.I have no idea what this called(sorry)where the drain pipe and this large pipeconnect is leaking.How do I repair this?

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

View more questions Search