Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    INgal65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Wireless Internet
    If I get a wireless router do I still need to have an internet provider such as comcast, or AOL?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Yes. A router only takes the broadband connection provided by a carrier (Comcast, AOL, Verizon, etc.) and shares it on your local LAN. You still need a modem to connect between the carrier and the router.
    INgal65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes. A router only takes the broadband connection provided by a carrier (Comcast, AOL, Verizon, etc.) and shares it on your local LAN. You still need a modem to connect between the carrier and the router.
    Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a laptop and want to hook it up to wireless internet but I have never done that before and unsure as to how to do it. What do I need and what type of provider do I look for. I want it so that when I travel I can use it for my schooling Thank you, Sherry

Wireless Internet [ 1 Answers ]

My wireless internet,on my laptop, worked fine yesterday morning.. I didn't change any settings and it stopped. Iv'e checked the modem,and have plugged and unplugged many times. The modem is fairly new so there shouldn't be any problems. I also put the computer right next to the modem.I tried to...

Wireless internet [ 2 Answers ]

I cannot renew my IP address.. What can I do help!? Ive tried to repair the connection. Ive also plugged and unplugged the modem. I also tried start/run/cmd/ipconfig and Start Menu -> Run -> ipconfig /renew... didn't work. p.s I have a linksys modem.

Wireless Internet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 PCs... one is desktop computer connected with high speed internet n other is laptop.. I want to use wireless internet on laptop through desktop computer. I have linksys wireless - G 2.4GHZ Access point. Is there anyway that I can use Access Point as a wireless router.. If yes then...

Wireless Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I work from home and use a laptop. I would like to be more mobile. Wireless internet has been suggested to me, but I cannot figure out where I would begin to find a provider. Would someone like AOL offer the service? I was told Verizon, but I have looked all over their site and cannot find...

View more questions Search