Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v_atray Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Tax Deduction/Credit for wife's tuition fee on H-4 visa.
    I am currently working in US on H1 visa. My wife (on H-4 visa) is enrolled at a university and is pursuing graduate studies.

Can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit or tuition fee deduction for the fee that I paid last year?

Also, do I need form 1098-T from the university to do that?

My wife does not have a SSN (she has ITIN) and the folks at the university office are telling her that she will not be issued 1098-T because she is not US citizen and does not have SSN.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Tell the university that they are wrong; be nice about it, but be firm.

If you have been in the U.S. for all of 2006 as an H-1 visaholder, you and your wife can file as resident aliens and are eligible to claim either the Lifetime Learning Credit, the tuition-and-fee deduction or maybe even the Hope Credit (depends on what level your wife is at in college).

Inform the university of these facts and ask that they issue your wife a Form 1098-T. Your wife IS entitled to get one.

Jan 19, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I filed my tax return yesterday and it was accepted by IRS. I claimed Lifetime Learning Credit for my wife's tuition fee. My understanding is that she was not eligible for Hope Credit since she is attending graduate school to get an MS degree.

Is there something that I missed? Was there another way to maximize my tax return?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Probably not. As long as you can prove you paid in 2006 the tuition you claimed under the Lifetime Learning Credit, you should not have a problem.
    coolPopeye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by v_atray
    I am currently working in US on H1 visa. My wife (on H-4 visa) is enrolled at a university and is pursuing graduate studies.

Can I claim Lifetime Learning Credit or tuition fee deduction for the fee that I paid last year?

My wife does not have a SSN (she has ITIN) and the folks at the university office are telling her that she will not be issued 1098-T because she is not US citizen and does not have SSN.
    You need to get a TIN # for your wife. I am surprised why you have not done this yet. You should be able to give this to the university and then they can issue you the form.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
    The first post says she has an ITIN.
    sportscarlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by v_atray

Hello v_atray,

I am in the same situation as you are. I am resident alien for Tax puposes (on H-1B visa) but my wife is going to school to get her Masters degree. She is electing to be treated as resident alien for Tax purposes and we are filing 1040 as joint return.
    Her university didn't issue her 1098-T eitheh, giving the same reason.

Please let me know how your request for Lifetime Learning Credit went. Did you actually get credit/refund from IRS for your wife's education expenses. And if yes, then did you get without school issuing 1098-T?

I appreciate your help in this regard.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
    No comment!
    habhavsar Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Tell the university that they are wrong; be nice about it, but be firm.

If you have been in the U.S. for all of 2006 as an H-1 visaholder, you and your wife can file as resident aliens and are eligible to claim either the Lifetime Learning Credit, the tuition-and-fee deduction or maybe even the Hope Credit (depends on what level your wife is at in college).

Inform the university of these facts and ask that they issue your wife a Form 1098-T. Your wife IS entitled to get one.

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert -- Thanks for your advice. However, my wife's university Registrar just doesn't get it. She refused to add my wife's ITIN on her records, and hence, she will not be issued and 1098-T. Do you have a link on IRS or something that I can print and show them so they agree to add my wife's ITIN on her fees statement. Thanks for help!

Dec 17, 2007, 06:33 AM
    habhavsar

You don't actually need form 1098-T to file for tax refund. A fee receipt is adequate proof to show that you paid your wife's tuition fee. I had claimed Lifetime Learning Credit for my wife's eduation in 2007 return but I did not have to mail 1098-T to anybody. Only if IRS requests evidence that you paid her tuition fee, you may need that form. And I say may because the receipt will probably be adequate.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
    V Atray's post mirrors my earlier post.

The Form 1098-T provides a paper trail for the IRS to follow when people apply for the Education Credit, but it is NOT required and should NOT be attached to the tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I (on h1b visa) claim my child (h4) for deduction on 1040nr? [ 6 Answers ]

If I am on H1B from Russia and have a 6 y.o. daughter with h4 visa, can I claim her as a dependent on 1040nr, in order to get deduction on my tax? Thanks.

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

I am on H1B and Wife on F1-Visa for 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

Hello , For 2005 year the complete year I was on H1B and I got married in July and my wife is in Student Visa (F1). She has started her OPT in December 2005. I made around 50k+ and she made around 3k for the whole year of 2005 I have a couple of questions, 1) What forms do I need to fill...

401 k plan deduction or credit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been contributing to 401 k plan, it is being deducted from my salary every month, so am I eligible to take any deduction or avail any kind of tax credit, based on this retirement plan? I am married filing a joint return

Mortgage interest and real estate tax deduction for J-1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the US for 18 months, as an exchange professional. I plan to buy a condo or co-op in NYC and would like to know if I can deduct the interest on mortgage loan and the tax included in the monthly maintenance, from my taxed revenue? Thanks

View more questions Search