Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRycraft Posts: 111, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Wireless Router recommendation W/XBOX 360 & Comcast
    Have Comcast internet, a MAC, PC and a XBOX 360 that I want to go wireless with, don't care so much about the computers as they don't have to be wireless but am looking into purchasing a new wireless router for XBOX 360 and was hoping to get some feedback on which router is the fastest and supported buy XBOX 360 and Comcast.
    Thanks Bill
    BuddyMan Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2009, 08:24 AM

Hi,
    I have Comcast cable, and I bought the cheaper of the two routers they have at WalMart. A Linksys wireless-G broadband router. They had one that is about $50, which is what I bought, and another for around $90, which supposedly has a faster signal or something. The cheaper one works just fine for me.

I don't do the 360 wireless though, now that I think of it, I run a cable to it and to 2 desktop units in the house. But I don't think it matters. I have my Wii connected wirelessly, along with 1 laptop. No Macs though.

All you have to do is connect to the signal. I found a video on Youtube that showed the procedure for hooking up the Wii, took about 5 minutes. Basically, you tell the Wii (360 works the same, I'm sure, so do PC laptops) to look for a wireless signal. It will scan and give you a list of all the signals it picks up. Click on yours.

Also, the router gives you the option of putting password protection on the wireless signal. I recommend you do this if you live near other folks who might tap your signal. That means just one extra step when you set up your wireless systems, which I set up from my desktop unit, which is connected to the router via cable. Don't know how you would do this if you only use the router for a wireless connection. You have to write down the password and input it when you are asked. You only have to do this one time, the first time you connect. Then your Wii, or 360 or laptop remembers the password and you never need it again. If you don't set up a password, other folks could tap into your signal and if those folks suck up a lot of bandwidth downloading movies and the like, it will affect your performance.
    BuddyMan Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Apr 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
    One other step. Took me hours to figure this out. If you are connecting a new router and adding new computers or devices to your internet connection, you have to reset the Comcast box so it picks up the new units. But since the Comcast cable box has a battery in it, it is not enough to just unplug the unit. You have to pop out the battery too. I reset that box a dozen times before I figured that out.
    BRycraft Posts: 111, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2009, 08:52 AM

I found that out the hard way about the battery, the modem came unplugged by accident and it wouldn't link up for some reason, so after being on with comcast, they were going to send out a tech. I came to find the plug in back came unplugged and even though my phones were working OK my internet wouldn't link up, so that was kind of weird because what good is the battery, unless its for phone use only? Plugged it in and linked up right away. But you I know about that little reset button that you can barely see behind the modem...
    Thanks for the info..
    Bill
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 03:17 PM

Whilst I don't have Comcast I do have 3 PC's and an Xbox 360 on my Network.

I have a Linksys Wrt150-N it's the relatively recent 802.11 N Draft.

To say the least I am very happy with it. I live in a three story townhouse that is quite larger and I have PC's in the top two and the XBOX 360 in the basement. I hook one PC via a cable and the rest is all wireless. I have no issues and usually I am the host when I play videogames.

Anybody who knows XBOX Live knows the host is the person with the best connection. I have Charter and I only have 10meg internet but I receive a lot of the projected 10 meg. I know most people when they pay for 10 meg, when they test their connection wirelessly they only receive like 4-6 meg. I received 7-low8 when I tested my connection wirlessly.

Hope this helps!

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Comcast wireless [ 21 Answers ]

I have a friend that has Comcast wireless internet that hasn't worked for 5 months. She has tried changing routers. Comcast said that it's her computer, but it fairly new. A computer guy (she paid him $150) said that her computer was fine. Can I contact Comcast from my computer and try to help her?...

2 Xbox 360s 1 Wireless Controller [ 2 Answers ]

I already have an Xbox 360 and I am thinking about getting another one but I can't get this out of my head. What is going to happen if you have two 360s setup and turn on a wireless controller? I can't find the answer anywhere, can someone help me?

Connecting a laptop and an xbox to the router using I line [ 2 Answers ]

How can I connect a laptop and xbox to a router using only 1 line with out losing strength

View more questions Search