Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jungerama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating
    Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I didn't continue to go to the ceiling to look at those connections. I thought that maybe the housing that holds the bulbs wire etc malfuntioned and needs to be partial or totally replaced? This fan has a remote, 2 pull chains and a swich for fan direction any advise out there? Thanks
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2006, 02:29 PM
    How do you know the switch at the wall is working, if neither the fan nor the light is working?

Check this troubleshooting guide:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

Also, since it has an add-on remote receiver, you could try bypassing/removing that, to see if the remote is the problem.
    jungerama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 10:38 PM
    The switch is a 2 gang on the wall. I replaced the one and when that didn't work I switched them and the same side keeps working. The other switch controls ceiling lights not part of the ceiling fan unit. What did you mean and how would I proceed to by pass the remote?
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 12:59 AM
    The remote receiver is in the ceiling canopy of the fan. Remove it and wire the fan as you would without it. Here are wiring instructions:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2006, 01:00 AM
    PS, you checked the switch (by swapping with another fixture) but that doesn't rule out the wiring between the switch and fan. However, since this is a remote fan, that's most likely where the problem is. Remotes suck.
    lmg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 10:48 PM
    The remote for my hampton bay ceiling fan/light quit working altogether out of the blue this evening. Replaced the battery in remote... appeared to be working. (red light indicator came on when buttons were pushed) but still no fan/ lights... did some looking at possible fixes on this website and it mentioned the toggle switches within the remote unit that may have toggled themselves to a different position.
    So I did as they suggested... toggled them one at a time... BINGO ! Everything works like a champ again!
    Whew !
    Thanks for the insight and help ! Took about 30 minutes from not working, to researching the internet and finding a fix here to actually fixing the issue.
    Thanks again !
    Kennyb72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
    I have 7 wires coming out from the fan. Also 2 pull chains and a 3 speed fan
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:27 PM
    That's nice.
    duelindevon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 01:21 PM

I have hampton bay fan.it is not working.I think remote is working fine.I don't know how to open the fan. Somebedy can help me thnk u.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 02:07 PM

Ceilingfanrepair, see what you started now. We have several folks who seem to not know they can start their own post by clicking on ASK at the top of the page, should I tell them or you? LOL
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 07:43 PM

Folks that find us on a Google search.

Does your fan have pullchains?

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    que_es Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmg View Post
    The remote for my hampton bay ceiling fan/light quit working altogether out of the blue this evening. replaced the battery in remote... appeared to be working. (red light indicator came on when buttons were pushed) but still no fan/ lights.... did some looking at possible fixes on this website and it mentioned the toggle switches within the remote unit that may have toggled themselves to a different position.
    so i did as they suggested... toggled them one at a time.... BINGO ! Everything works like a champ again !!
    whew !
    thanks for the insight and help ! took about 30 minutes from not working, to researching the internet and finding a fix here to actually fixing the issue.
    thanks again !
    Confirming that this works. Toggle each of the tiny switches on the circuit board underneath the battery one at a time, and try the fan/light each time. It worked for me when I got to Switch #3.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 08:59 PM

Sometimes they will slip out of place.

caridwen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Folks that find us on a Google search.

Does your fan have pullchains?

Hi, I did find you with Google search. Unsure if I should ask here or start a new thread.
    My problem is similiar- but a little different.

I have a Jericho II model 390-128. The remote stopped working but I was still able to use the pulls to operate the light and the fan. I was dusting the fan blades and after I dusted, the lights and fan won't operate.

Did I loosen something? That seems to be what it's pointing to, but I can't make sense of the book (I didn't install the fan and don't know a lot about them).

Where do I look to see if something came loose?

According to the book from the ceiling down it goes like this-

Ceiling canopy-
    Downrod
    Fan motor assembly (on mine it's glass and there are lights inside)
    etc. etc.

Should I look inside the fan motor assembly? If something is loose, will it be obvious?

Sorry if I didn't explain this well. Thanks for any help!
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 12:12 PM

Open the fan at the ceiling, remove the receiver, try wiring the fan without it. Check and see if the fan and lights work from the pulls, report back.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    caridwen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Open the fan at the ceiling, remove the receiver, try wiring the fan without it. Check and see if the fan and lights work from the pulls, report back.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    Thank you!

I will give it a try and let you know.

I have one quick question, do I have to remove the fan from the ceiling to check the receiver?
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 08:12 PM

Most likely not.
    eiuelos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Wow! I saw the suggestion about the dip switches. I tested everything else. Figured it couldn't hurt. They were all up in the receiver, flipped them all down. They were all up in the remote, flipped them all down. Works just fine now. I'm not going to ask why, I'm just happy its fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Outdoor Lights [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I cannot figure out why my Hampton Bay outdoor lights will not turn off when I set them to auto-off after two hours. They stay on all the time now.

Hampton Bay CF: fan works, lights don't [ 3 Answers ]

I hung a hampton bay ceiling fan (Huntington III), controlled by a simple single light switch, and the fan works well, but the lights do not work at all. I wired white to white, black to black, green and blue to outlet box ground. I am guessing that it's a manufacturer's defect, since it is getting...

Lights do not work on the ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

The fan will come on when using the fan switch, but when I use the light switch the lights will not come on. Is this a wiring problem or a switch problem? I would like to fix it myself if possible. The ceiling fan was put in with lights attached below in 1995 and the lights quit working about 2...

Ceiling fan and lights go off and on [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 20 AMP circuits to my bathroom running off same circuit breaker. One circuit powers a ground fault receptacle and vanity lights. Other circuit powers ceiling fan, ceiling fan light, a ground fault receptacle and shower light. This circuit goes on and off but GF or breaker do not kick off....

Hampton Bay fan, lights stay on? [ 2 Answers ]

My dad has a Hampton Bay remote controlled fan with upper and lower lights The problem is the remote will not turn off or on the lower lights My dad found this out when he tried to turn off the light last night, it stayed on until I could unscrew the bulbs. I tried the battery its good and...

View more questions Search