Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Parker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Wiring a Honeywell Chronotherm IV
    What size wiring do you use for a thermostat? I need to move one from an exterior wall to an interior one. Also, any tips on fishing wires through insulation? Bringing it up the wall and over suspended ceiling and down another wall.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 07:56 AM
    18 gauge is a norm for t-stat wire.

Pulling it through is made much easier by using "fish tape" or even a coathanger.

Here are some articles about using fish tape:
    http://www.google.com/search?num=100...re&btnG=Search
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 09:41 AM
    OOPS!! Since I made the post below I have been to Home Depot and looked at their thermostat wire. Their sign said 18 gage thermostat wire. Couldn't see the wire itself. Still think I have seen smaller wire used.

Go to a place that sells wire. Pick out some thermostat wire that has as many wires as you need and seems to follow the color code of your thermostat. If your thermostat has the additional BK and OR terminals, don't buy the red, white, yellow, green, and blue stuff. The low voltage wiring for HVAC systems run on very little power. I think the older stuff looked like 20 gage, but you may find the newer stuff labeled 26 gage.

Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. If your furnace uses these colors, and the thermostat uses different ones, you will need to study the directions for it to relate the terminals to the function. Color makes no difference as long as the right wire connects to the right terminal.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
    Looking back at your question, on fishing the wire. If you have access below the floor, I would abandon the old wiring, well maybe pull it out. In an exterior wall, you are fighting the insulation, a pain, plus the chance of messing it up. If you can, start new from the furnace. Run the wire down under the floor, across the under side to the underside of the wall cavity you intend to locate the thermostat. Drill a 1/2'' or bigger hole through the floor and plate above. Cut a hole in the wall the thermostat will cover leaving enough wall to mount the thermostat. You then should be able to push a wire up to the hole in the wall, and have room to snag it with something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Honeywell Programmable Thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

I am having trouble figuring out the wiring for a new programmable thermostat installation. I moved into a barnd new house equipped with two Robertshaw Model 9400 Thermostats (one for each zone). I bought Honeywell RTH7500D programmable thermostats to replace them because I wanted programmable...

Honeywell RTH230B Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a...

Amana vs honeywell stat wiring [ 5 Answers ]

My system consists of a heatpump(amana ) / air /gas furnace. I'm presently using an amana stat (T874tg189910574101 ) and plan on changing to a Honeywell 7400 5-1-1. The amana stat uses terminals: e jumpered to w2 with tan wire , g , c / x , r , y , and o. The honeywell diagram only shows 5 wires...

Honeywell t8624d wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace my old honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell t8624d Chronotherm IV. My old thermostat is the round turning type. I just want to use my new one for a 1 zone heat in basement. There is a red and white wire coming out of the wall. The red is going to the valve and the white...

Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both...

View more questions Search