Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jljl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2018, 11:48 PM
    Moisture/mold after flood
    My condo was flooded due to the malfunctioning washing machine from the above unit. My ceiling and carpet were wet. I used a heavy duty floor dryer for 24 hours so everything appears to be dry now.

Is there any way to determine if there's moisture/mold underneath my carpet and in my ceiling (without getting a professional to come in)? No repair was required. Strata won't do anything. My only concern is moisture/mold/mildew.

Thank you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 20, 2018, 03:37 AM
    You shouldn't have to lift a finger nor spend a dime. The upstairs owner should pay for all of it, or be sued.
    https://www.grainger.com/content/qt-...ure-meters-346. Maybe Home Depot rents good ones?

Put 4 numbered paper towels on the carpet with a very heavy weight on them for a day or 2. If just the bottom towel gets slightly damp, I'd wait another 3 days and try again.
    I would photograph this, with the date, each time.

With a one time flood of short duration that is dried out in 24 hrs, there usually isn't time to get moldy. Just keep an eye on the ceiling.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2018, 05:40 AM
    You can dry carpeting relatively easily, but the backing requires a lot more, and often is better replaced. I know you may not want the expense of a professional, but you better figure on doing what he does to inspect for any hidden moisture in your ceiling, walls, as well as floors, and take the right actions.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT

I highly recommend you contact your condo insurance carrier for guidance, and get a thorough inspection done of ALL the affected areas and let them mitigate your remedial costs through your neighbors insurance.

Jan 20, 2018, 11:19 PM
    Thanks a lot joypulv and talaniman.

The flood only lasted for a couple of hours, but I didn't manage to get the floor dryer until 24 hours after, I only put a lot of towels on the area to soak up the water.

Yes I already took pictures. I don't want to involve my insurance and my neighbour is willing to pay (they don't have insurance). Just wanted to save the troubles if everything is all right.

Thanks for the video, that's really informative.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:03 PM
    Sorry one more question. Someone told me that if the water is clean, there wouldn't be any mold. Is that true? It doesn't sound right to me. Thank you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 23, 2018, 05:14 AM
    Not true. Mold spores are everywhere, just waiting for a bit of dampness.

A lot of mold scare is sheer hype, however. I lived in extreme mold in my parents' lower level for years. It was under the carpet on the concrete slab (along with tons of bugs) and inside the walls. Not all mold is going to be ''toxic.''

Jan 23, 2018, 10:40 PM
    I see. Thanks for the information. Appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re Flood Insurance in a Flood zone [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is almost 90 years old . He had a reverse mortgage For some years (I don't understand it well) and now he pays taxes and Bills, etc. Our section of Brooklyn, NY got hit by Sandy, at least those Of us on either ends of the area but where he lives he's safe from any Of those...

Moisture / mold problems with hvac system [ 9 Answers ]

My mother had a Trane 3 ton 16 seer system installed about 2 years ago. She lives in a approximately 1000 sf house in the San Antonio, Tx. Area. She has been having mold problems in the registers and in the register duct boxes. The duct boxes have a insulation in them and this is constantly wet...

Moisture, mold, attic [ 16 Answers ]

We put an addiction on our one story ranch here in southern Maine. When the insulation people did they're work. They didn't run enough proper vent up the rafters and therefore, after a year or so we had visible water stains in the ceilling. Checking into this I found the black mold. I sprade the...

Mold and moisture in closets and on windows [ 5 Answers ]

Hello - a bit of a preplexing issure I have here... In an upstairs apartment, we recently found mold in a closet. The closet is in the back left corner of the apartment (the joining of 2 exterior walls). At first, we assumed that this mold was due to a leak in the roof, but I am beginning to...

Veneer plaster on purple moisture/mold resistant drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom renovation has new drywall up that is a purple color (called "mold/moisture resistant"). This purple color is only on one side. I saw some "normal" blueboard and it looked more gray, where as this is more purple. I think this is the new green board? In either case, can this purple...

View more questions Search