Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Countrymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Homeschool kindergarten
    My middle soon is 5yrs old. His kindergarten teacher is 90% sure she will be holding him back for another year. The first semester is not even over yet! I know that my son has struggled some, but also I know that many people in our tiny community believe she is too hard on the children. I was thinking for this next semester that I would like to try homeschooling him. He is one of the happiest boys around but already hates school. If anything I think a
    He may come to appreciate the public school more after sitting out a semester at home. Also with any luck, she can retest him and he can go on to 1st grade in the fall. Many of my son's Great Aunts and also his grandmother are teachers and believe that he needs to be in a gifted class. Anyone who spends a few minutes with him also believe that. So naturally I feel that the school setting has something to do with his problem. With very little time, I need to find a way to make this work.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
    I strongly suggest you ask for a staffing that includes you, the principal, the teacher, the school counselor if there is one, anyone at the school who regularly interacts with your child, and someone you know (one of those relatives you mentioned?) and who knows the child.

You do realize home schooling is not a walk in the park, right? And as a teacher, I found out that my worst students were my own children -- and I was their worst teacher. And pulling him out of school for such a short time sends all the wrong messages to him.
    itmeeverybody Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
    I'm not exactly experienced, but I would not recommend homeschooling. I was home-schooled for a year when I was in 1st grade, and it is not what you would imagine homeschooling like. Kids can't really learn academically from their parents. Kids don't think of their parents as mentors, only as role-models, or even worse things. We learn better around teachers, probably because we know that our parents will love us even if we don't do well. Kids seek attention. If a child does well, then they want to be recognized. Their parents will recognize them, no matter what (at least, most will) but teachers may not. That's why they strive to get attention from others.

I would recommend sending him to another school, or asking another teacher to teach him in the next semester.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Why is the teacher asking for another year of Kindergarten? Are there skills he isn't achieving? I am a Kindergarten teacher, so I'm hoping to help you. Please give more detailed information so I can better understand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public kindergarten vs. Homeschool kindergarten [ 24 Answers ]

I am a concerned grandma. My son & daughter-in-law are going to homeschool my grandson for kindergarten and then send him to public first grade next year when his sister will go to public kindergarten. He will be 6 the end of December. He is very bright and the actual learning part of...

Should I homeschool my children [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering homeschooling my 6th grade son. He started middle school this year and is having a horrible go of it. He is writing defecient and the 'extra time' they have allotted through an IEP has not remedied the situation; he's struggled with it since 1st grade. I let them hold him back in...

Can I homeschool Kindergarten to start my child early? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. So glad to have found this sight. I have an almost 4 year old (late Dec Bday) girl who is now reading and writing. She is very mature and clearly gifted. I asked my elementary school principal about starting her in K early and she said they never do that due to social reasons, etc. ...

Kindergarten homeschool for four year old [ 4 Answers ]

If I homeschool my four year old in Kindergarten can she go to school next year as a first grader?

Can I still homeschool my child [ 6 Answers ]

I want to know when I can start haomeschooling my daughter she is 3 but, is already learning what you do in 1st grade. I use to be a aide in a dayschool( it's kind of like preschool but, a bit diffrent) but, when ca I start is it too early to start now? I'm have a mild form of desexlia(with both...

View more questions Search