Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizzy25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
    I hired my brother as a live in nanny how much should I pay him?
    I just hired my 21 year old brother as a live in nanny/housekeeper for my two kids I will be covering all house bills,necessities, and food I also will be covering all gas and insurance on his car. He also is going to have a cell phone on our plan that I will also pay for. But I am not rich by no means I am only doing this because he needs a job and my family could use the help because I am enlisting in the army we are planning on paying him around three hundred cash a month but after reading what nannies make a month I am wondering if we are cheating him he is okay with the amount we agreed on and is not complaining at all but I do not want to cheat him in any way what do you think
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 10:38 PM

You are also giving him --

1) free food and necessities
    2) all gas for his car
    3) insurance on his car
    4) a cell phone on our plan
    5) plus the $300 a month

Why didn't you call me first? I have lots of experience.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 09:05 AM

The money you are giving him is not only the $300 a month, if you add up all the other expenses you are covering, that's actually a lot more than $300.

Think about it this way, if he had to move out on his own and look for another job, how much would he save in a month after he paid all those expenses himself? You will probably find that he will have the same $300 in savings. Sounds more than fair to me.

Will he have an opportunity to look for other work too?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 02:01 PM

If that is acceptable to him, or you could consider paying him the money that would cover his car gas and insurance and letting him pay his own, ** you want his car and insurance in his name not yours.

Apr 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Comment on I wish's post
    He is thinking about trying to go to school on line that way when everything is done he will be able to have a degree in a field. This way he will be able to support himself and his baby. Both of my girls are school age so he will have the whole time they are in school to himself.

Apr 19, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Thank you to every one who responded it has really helped. And you all were right that when we added up how much he would pay on bills on his own it came up to more than he would be paid at a full time job. And this way he will have plenty of time to go to college.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Issues with live-in/out Caregiver/nanny/housekeeper [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We have a live-in/out caregiver/nanny/housekeeper. She is paid $1100/mo including room and board, food and use of a vehicle during work. She get 2 days off per week and 1 week paid vacation/year to coincide with our vacations. She is also paid $100/weekend if I need her all weekend or...

Live-in Nanny, Cook, Housekeeper. Going rates? [ 0 Answers ]

I am live-in Nanny for a 7 year old special needs child. I do all of the cooking for the family in addition to daily housekeeping. I am expected to be on 24 hour call including week-ends at a minutes notice. What should I expect to be paid for my services?

Wages for live in nanny [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know how much a live in nanny for my mother should be paid?

Do you have to evict a live-in nanny? [ 3 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny. Actually I am exchanging free rent in exchange for child care. Is this person my nanny or my roommate? If anything goes wrong can I just terminate the person? My biggest concern would be if they get mail at my house would they be entitled to "squatter's rights" Would I...

View more questions Search