Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BarbS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Blower on Intertherm Furnace
    This is an older furnace.It works fine sometimes! I raised the tstat and nothing happened, I pushed the fan switch from auto to on and it worked-back to auto and it didn't work. When I checked the breakers and flipped them off and back on the blower started.Any idea where the problem may be? Thanks,BarbS
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Sounds like the blower relay for heating. Most furnaces have separate windings for high and low speed blower. Heating uses a slower speed that On or A/C. The windings are each controlled by a different relay. The sequence is, the gas comes on, later by a timer or limit switch, the blower comes on, and if it doesn't, another limit switch shuts off the gas. If the blower is already running, the gas will come on and stay on until the thermostat shuts off. If you are lucky, the old furnace doesn't have the relays on a circuit board. Follow the wires from the blower back to a little box with 4 wires, one from the blower, one from the house wiring, one from a transformer, and the fourth from a limit switch. Take a plastic handled screwdriver and put the tip on the terminal that goes to the blower, and tilt it to where the shaft touches the one from the house wire. It may spark a little, it is 120 volts, needing respect. If the blower starts, the motor is OK. Next, use a length of wire to run from the other terminal of the transformer to the fourth terminal. It is only 24 volts. If the blower starts, the problem is the limit switch. If it doesn't, it is the relay. Remove which ever, and take it to an electrical shop and let them find the right new one.

If the furnace has a circuit board, the above tests, and replacing the relay are much harder. A whole new board is much more expensive.

Jan 21, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Intertherm furnace blower
    Thanks for the quick response! This is an Intertherm electric Model FEHA-015HA-01 Are your suggestions,to check the same for an electric furnace?
    The only way the blower seems to work now is by the fan switch on the furnace. Thanks,again Barb Smith
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2006, 09:07 PM
    The electric furnace should work about the same, except having a relay controlling the heating elements instead of the gas valve.

The relay may have gone from flaky to dead.

Jan 22, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Thanks again!
    My son came to follow your suggestions- he was checking wires and connections etc. and decided to wait until a weekday when HVAC stores would be open. Since he tightened and checked all,it seems to be running fine! My only problem NOW is-it doesn't always shut down -it sometimes starts up and shuts down a couple of times before it shuts down for good. Any more suggestions?? Thanks,barb Smith
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Tightening the connections may have been enough to bring the relay back from dead to flaky. Yeah, It will be warmer today with the relay partly working than removed. Smart kid.
    uptonj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 11:23 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    It helped me narrow my search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower motor [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol Furnace, and it stopped working. I called a Heating Co, and the technician said that that the motor was bad, it's and old unit with Climatrol no longer in business. I might be able to find a used motor, but I really need a new furnace. After he left I was reaching in and I was...

Furnace blower motor [ 1 Answers ]

A friend asked help about his furnace blower emitting a screeching sound during operation and then just stopped. I went over and tried to rotate the blower by hand - resistance to free rotation was present. Removed the blower assembly and dismantled motor. No lubrication on both motor bushings....

Furnace blower? [ 3 Answers ]

This morning my furnace in the attic was making some weird sounds. By lunch time the was a burning smell through my vents. At lunch time no heat was blowing through my vents in the house. I turned the a/c on and still nothing. My unit outside is working fine too. What do you think it could be?

Furnace/blower. [ 6 Answers ]

Been searching but so far I haven't found any information that really helps me. I've lived in this house for about a year and a half now, it has the original furance in it(house was built in the 70's I blelieve). Last year the furnace worked fine, and had worked fine so far this year. I live in...

Furnace blower switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gravity furnace. On one leg of the system I' ve Placed a small 110volt blower fan with a manual switch. Is there any type of switch that can be wired into the 24 volt furnace thermostat so the blower only runs when the furnace is on.. I've added this to give a little heat to the...

View more questions Search