Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blzrcrzy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2005, 08:47 AM
    Need help to share files and printer through Network
    Hello. I have networked two home computers together and am now having a problem with the sharing of the printer and files. On the first computer (main), I am running Windows XP with a wireless-B Broadband Router and on the secondary computer, I am running Windows 98SE with a wireless USB adapter. The printer is connected to the main computer.

I am able to get online with both computers and print from the main computer, however, I am unable to print or access shared files from the secondary computer. The printer is showing in the control panel but when I try to print, I get the following pop-up error message, "Cannot connect to this network printer. Make sure that your network is working properly and that the network you share exists."

As for the files, on the XP machine, they say that they are shared, however, on the 98SE machine under "shared documents" there is nothing.

I am new to this networking thing and am really lost so any help and/or suggestion anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Make sure File and Print sharing is enabled on the Win 98 machine. You may alkso have to do a fudge on the printer sharing. Win 98 may not recognize it as a network printer. What you might have to do is install the printer as a local printer. When prompted for the port, instead of LPT1, you will need to add a TCP/IP port with an IP address for the other PC.

Aug 30, 2005, 10:30 AM
    Scott ~ Thanks for writing. I will try what you suggested and post back.

Aug 30, 2005, 10:36 AM
    I tried as you suggested but that didn't work either. I put it back as a network printer and now it tells me that the printer is "offline" and I will have to wait for it to be "online". I am really confused now ~ I can print fine using the main computer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2005, 12:25 PM
    The problem is that Win 98 will not understand network printer if its not on a server. Where you able to create the TCP/IP port?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to share a printer over home wifi [ 16 Answers ]

Hi Guys and gals, I have a new work laptop that I bring home. I can access my home wireless network to use the internet but I can't see the printer on the base station (home desktop that is always on). - the printer on the desktop is indeed shared - the computers are in different workgroups...

How do I move files and share printer when networking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell desktop as my main computer and a dell laptop, (wireless) as second computer, I installed a Linksys broadband wireless router and I'm able to share the internet connection, but I don't understand how to share files or move them between the two, also need to share the printer and...

Share files with friends? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very big file (1.2GB) and maybe more that I would like to send to a friend over our internet connection. There used to be a free program called wwwfileshare to do this easily... but not it isn't free. Im sure there must be other programs like this that willl help me without shelling out...

Share my files using a vpn [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am trying to setup a private network between two remote computers. Each one of the computers connects to the Internet using a dial-up connection. I am running the windows XP VPN server in the first computer and I establish a VPN over dial-up connection between them. The VPN server...

Network printer share problem [ 1 Answers ]

This is my problem. Have a win NT 4.0 network. Working on migrating windows 2003 server network. Have upgraded 2 computer workstations from win 98 to XP pro. Everything went fine. One machine that was upgraded to XP uses a dos based program installed on the NT server which is shared. It is ACCPAC...

View more questions Search