Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maryland_Bluecrab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
    My credit account was charged 1 year after my purchase.
    I made a purchase at a major online retailer in January 2006 for $469. The charge didn't appear on my account until just last month, February 2007 (13 months late). Can the retailer or credit card issuer do this? Isn't there a limit to how long they can wait after delivering the merchandise to charge my account? There must be a law protecting me against this kind of activity. HELP!
    Cheryl28212 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Bluecrab
    I made a purchase at a major online retailer in January 2006 for $469. The charge didn't appear on my account until just last month, February 2007 (13 months late). Can the retailer or credit card issuer do this? Isn't there a limit to how long they can wait after delivering the merchandise to charge my account? There must be a law protecting me against this kind of activity. HELP!
    I don't know the laws but since the charge was never posted to your account to begin with, I would think they have every right to charge you since you have the merchandise. I hope this helps.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland_Bluecrab
    There must be a law protecting me against this kind of activity. HELP!
    We have people here who are more knowledgeable than I am in this area. Wait for them to chime in on the details.

But I think you need to be careful when talking like you are a victim here. You KNOW this is a valid debt. You were hoping it would float away. Is there a period after which the debt can't be pursued? That's for the experts.

But you really want the law to "protect you" from owning up to your debts? Really?

I made a major appliance purchase last summer. I can tell you if that hadn't shown up on my bill I would not have sat around for months thinking it might just go away.

I know. Not the answer you want to hear. That last line just hits me wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charged off account at Law Office [ 3 Answers ]

I had lost my Job and was unable to pay my CC bill. I did contact them, but as so many others they would not lower or stop my interest. The account was charged off in NOv and is now being handled by a Law Firm. The amount is $ 7500 , which at least $ 2500 being interest. My question, how can I stop...

Account was charged off [ 27 Answers ]

1 more question, I promise I won't bother anyone again. To summarize, I was served a summons from MBNA from the county sheriff. I had 30 days to respond to a PO Box at the court house. I sent a letter( didn't know better-now since reading should have done it differently). I called the law...

Need to Settle Charged off credit card. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok a little about my situation, I once upon a time had a visa credit card with Providian National Bank, But due to some unforeseen circumstances I could not pay the card payments. I had to choose between the credit card payment and my home so I neglected the visa payments. This is something...

Credit card account [ 1 Answers ]

Equifax Credit report showed Providian Bank as actived. Which sent me credit cards I did not want, and I sent them back. Since the account was never active or used. It should be removed or closed. As a previous askme member told me. But here is the problem Providian Bank does not exist any...

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

View more questions Search