Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drdevi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Two zone system?
    I am intending on replacing my 50+ years old gravity furnace. This may appear straightforward, however I have an in-law apartment in the basement that I rent which needs upgrading. Currently I have a gas wall heater there, but according to current San Francisco codes, I cannot just replace it with the same.

Heating contractors have suggested a two zone system with a separate zone for the apartment, but other contractors have told me that two zone systems never work properly.

I'd appreciate any opinions or guidance. I'd prefer to stick with gas heating rather than an electric baseboard.

Thanks,
    drdevi
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 01:40 PM
    If set up properly two zone systems are great, we do it very often in large homes and the homeowners love it. Also around here you can't zone an apartment because they can not share common air, 2 separate systems need to be installed with their own ductwork.
    drdevi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    If set up properly two zone systems are great, we do it very often in large homes and the homeowners love it. Also around here you can't zone an apartment because they can not share common air, 2 seperate systems need to be installed with their own ductwork.
    Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, the same holds true here in San Francisco. However, one contractor said that I could connect in a Carrier Infinity Air Purifier with the 2 zone system, which would take care of the shared-air thing. Would that stand up to the code requirement?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drdevi
    Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, the same holds true here in San Francisco. However, one contractor said that I could connect in a Carrier Infinity Air Purifier with the 2 zone system, which would take care of the shared-air thing. Would that stand up to the code requirement?
    Not here, but you codes are probably different. Check with your local HVAC building inspector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the Thanksgiving Zone Now [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, cranberry chutney and pumpkin pie made, so its official... we're in the Thanksgiving Zone now. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

How do I wire a new FHW zone [ 5 Answers ]

I have a gas fired, forced hot water heating system with 3 zones. The zones are controlled by a TACO switching relay (SR506). I would like to add a 4th zone. That is relatively simple. I can add the circulating pump, etc. and can easily connect the new thermostat. But I do not want a...

Carrier or Honeywell Zone System? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a 2700sqft home that is two stories half of that is upstairs and half down. I have a 4 year old 5 ton all in one AC/Heat unit and only one return in the house which is downstairs. I have been getting estimates on getting a second return put in upstairs along with a zone system...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

Can I use parallel thermostats in a 1-zone system? [ 3 Answers ]

Bought an old 3-storey house in Maine, heated with gas forced-hotwater radiators. There is only 1 zone, with the thermostat in a 1st floor front room with little traffic and away from any radiator. When the t'stat calls for heat, it takes so long for it to register at the t'stat site, that the...

View more questions Search