Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrisdab Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Ethernet connection slow, wireless is fine
    Hi, I am using the Actiontec MI-424WR or MI424WR router that I am provided by verizon. My service provides 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up. When I first got the service earlier this month tests done at speakeasy showed 15/1.7 which was normal. The past week or so, my connection has deteriorated to being now about 300-700k/1.7. I still get full upload speed, but I don't get anywhere near the download speed I should be getting. My mother's computer which is on a wireless connection gets 10 mbps which is good for wireless. I have also put a wireless card in my laptop which gets 10 mbps also. I still can figure out though why a wired connection would have issues. I tried searching all the help forums, but I can't find an answer. I am not sure whether its my laptop's ethernet port or the router's ethernet, I have checked all 4 ports on the router.

Thanks
    Chris

Jan 3, 2007, 10:29 PM
    I can discount congestion. I use FIOS fiber optics. Wireless is fine it's the wired connection with the issue.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 4, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Check the speed/duplex setting on both the router and your PC's wired ports. If either is hard coded to anything other than AUTO/AUTO then change them to AUTO/AUTO.

Jan 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
    I figured out the problem. I was using protowall which normally is a good service, but they do install a protowall service on your local network connection. The troubles cleared since I uninstalled it. Peerguardian is more useful anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Interfacing ethernet to wireless LAN [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dear, I am currently using ethernet connection.I have ethernet slot in my room.I want to make a wireless connection of 4 or 5 laptops with this available slot. How can I do this?What necessary products I will be requiring for this. Guide me, I am new in this field. Regards Imran

2nd floor sink drain slow... all others fine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, So my wife and I bought this house several months ago. Initially the 2nd floor tub and sink drained slowly. I drainoed the and plunged the tub - problem solved, but the sink is stubborn. I've used a lot of draino and tried to plunge and snake it, sometimes it will help a little for a...

View more questions Search