Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ama1001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Should I get a 401 K loan or Home Equity loan
    I owe about $ 25,000 on various credit cards with interest ranging from 17 % to 30 %. I am barely able to make the minimum payments. In addition, I owe $14,000 ($ 500 a month) on the car with 7 % and 3 years to go.
    Because I have bad credit, I was able to get one bank to offer me a Home Equity loan for 20 years and 13.8 %. I also have about $ 70,000 in my 401 K. Should I take a $ 25,000 from the 401 K to pay it over 5 years? Or get the home equity with 13.8 %?
    Thanks,
    Ashraf
    :confused:
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jan 9, 2008, 10:34 AM
    I have done both and would always opt to take out a 401K loan. You are paying yourself back with interest. Why pay interest to a mortgage equity loan?
    ama1001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Thanks for your answer but I have another question: Wouldn't taking money out of 401k deny me the benefit of 401 K growth? I mean, the $ 25,000 is not going to be invested.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jan 9, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Here you go... I couldn't have said it better than this:

Second Mortgage Versus 401K Loan

Calculate your "opportunity costs" and see if it works for you. Bottomline, if your 401K returns are lower than the equity interest plus expenses, then you are better of borrowing from yourself.

Cheers
    Richykelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 02:46 AM
    Sofitan loan company now offer cheap loan. Contact.. [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

Home equity loan [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a home equity loan on a rental property I own? I live in Texas

Is This Home Equity Loan LEGAL? [ 1 Answers ]

Very long story but I will try and sum it up short. My deed has my name and another person that holds life lease. I was approached by a Mortgage Co. to take out a loan, which I have tried many times, but could not due to this life lease. (I WILL NOT ASK THE PERSON TO SIGN ANY PAPERS). The person...

Home equity loan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of questions in regards to obtaining a home equity loan. I will give some background as it is an unusual situation. My wife and I live in Auburn, Alabama. When we married and moved here in 2001, she owned a house in Birmingham, Alabama (about 120 miles away). Before she was...

View more questions Search