Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SistaVal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Sanskrit translation for my tattoo
    Hi. I got the phrase "Don't settle" (i.e. Don't settle for less, but without the "for less" part) translated on another site. It was written as स्थिरा मा भव. I wanted to know if that is correct and also what the transliteration is (how do you say it). It would be as if someone (male or female) is saying to me (a female) "Don't settle." I am double checking as this will be part of a tattoo and I want it to be as accurate as possible since it will be on me forever. Thanks!
    encyclopedia Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2008, 01:31 AM
    The transliteration is correct.
    It is pronounced like this.
    "Sukhi Maa Bhava"
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 18, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaVal
    Hi. I got the phrase "Don't settle" (i.e. Don't settle for less, but without the "for less" part) translated on another site. It was written as स्थिरा मा भव. I wanted to know if that is correct and also what the transliteration is (how do you say it). It would be as if someone (male or female) is saying to me (a female) "Don't settle." I am double checking as this will be part of a tattoo and I want it to be as accurate as possible since it will be on me forever. Thanks!
    I saw your earlier post as well. I wanted to point out that to construct a meningful sentence in Sanskrit you will need to qualify "less" viz. "less reward", "less respect", "less ambition" etc.
    Also your translation for "Dont settle" - स्थिरा मा भव Reads "STHIRA MAA BHAVA" meaning "do not be firm/steady"!!
    It certainly does not read "Sukhi Maa Bhava" which means "Dont be happy"
    SistaVal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaVal
    Seems that the translation is NOT correct! Thanks supriya_82. I suppose if I need to qualify the sentence, I would like the translation and transliteration for "Don't settle for less than what you are worth." Can that be translated?
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Name:  settle.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  8.0 KB

Read as "Alpa-mulye Santosham Ma Karosi" meaning "You do not be satisfied with less worth".

You cannot use the translation for "settle". In your phrase settle is used to express a sense of satisfaction and acceptance.
    Translating settle would be OK if you were using something as "Please settle down in life". That is where you got the word स्थिरा. Which would roughly be used to express. Please stay steady in your life.
    LittlemissFun Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Hey,

I'm just wondering if supriya can translate Jey into sanskrit?
    It would be a great help=D
    smonkey Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Please can someone write for me

My soul is imperishable
    And
    No one can destroy the imperishable soul

Thank you very much
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Feb 10, 2010, 04:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by supriya _82 View Post
    Name:  settle.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  8.0 KB

Read as "Alpa-mulye Santosham Ma Karosi" meaning "You do not be satisfied with less worth".

You cannot use the the translation for "settle". In your phrase settle is used to express a sense of satisfaction and acceptance.
    Translating settle would be ok if you were using something as "Please settle down in life". That is where you got the word स्थिरा. Which would roughly be used to express. Please stay steady in your life.
    Here is the word by word technical analysis of the sentence:
    अल्पमूल्ये = The root word is अल्पमूल्य made of two words अल्प meaning less & मूल्य meaning value. Its locative singular is used meaning "in less value"
    सन्तोषम् = The root verb is सन्तोष meaning contentment & it being the object of the sentence, its accusative singular is used.
    मा = This is an indeclinable meaning "not"
    करोसी = The root verb here is कृ belonging to 8th conjugation Ubhayapada. It is the present tense second person singular but incorrectly formed. The correct should have been करोषि [parasmaipada] or कुरुषे [atmanepada].
    So with correcting the form, the whole sentence translates to "You are not contended in less value." But this is not the intended meaning. The translation asked is for "Do not settle for less value". For this, imperative form of the verb कृ should have been used i.e. कुरु [parasmaipada] or कुरुष्व [atmanepada] making the sentence अल्पमूल्ये संतोषं मा कुरु [or] कुरुष्व which translates to "Do not be contented in less value".

--------------------"Opinions & comments are welcome."--------------------

Feb 10, 2010, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlemissFun View Post
    Hey,

I'm just wondering if supriya can translate Jey into sanskrit??
    It would be a great help=D
    Pronunciation?
    mia7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Could someone kindly translate the word JUSTICE
    And WORRIOR,and if possible write the words in different handwriting as I've seen some beautiful ones on the web.
    I really appreciate the honesty and kindness,thank you!

Jun 16, 2010, 12:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mia7777 View Post
    could someone kindly translate the word JUSTICE
    and WORRIOR,and if possible write the words in different handwriting as ive seen some beautiful ones on the web.
    I really appreciate the honesty and kindness,thank you!!
    Respectively,
    न्याय
    योद्धा

Jun 16, 2010, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaVal View Post
    In the this translation, the word settle is interpreted as in settling down or becoming stable. IF the intended meaning is different, the translation will change.
    mia7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 12:05 PM

Thank u and God bless!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sanskrit tattoo Translation [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Savena, Pronounced Sa-Vee-Na I'm interested in getting a sanskrit tattoo of my name, and I desperately need help on knowing the translation too it, please if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sanskrit tattoo translation [ 28 Answers ]

Hey, Does anybody know the English to Sanskrit translation for: “I am My Brother’s Keeper” ? It would greatly be appreciated, because some of the online translators are little wishy-washy with their translations.

Sanskrit tattoo translation [ 34 Answers ]

Hi. I wanted to get 'Reyna my daughter my love' translated into Sanskrit for a tattoo. Can anyone help? Reyna is pronounced (RAY-NUH). Thanks!

Sanskrit tattoo Translation [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me translate below quote into Sanskrit for my tattoo, "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die Today." I would also like "Good Girl Gone Bad" translated too. Thanks in advance! :cool:

Translation into sanskrit for tattoo [ 1 Answers ]

It reads: "I am to the world as rain is to water and as petals are to the lotus." Even a partial translation would be helpful Thank you for any help that you can provide me

View more questions Search