Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wizardx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Balance Sheet/Income Statement Questions
    My assignment includes writing up both a balance sheet and income statement given the trial balance. I've completed most of it, but I'm a bit unsure on a few things...

1) Allowance for Bad Debts. - Am I to consider this a current asset?

2) Patents. - Most likely long-term asset? Also, I'm aware write-offs of patents go on the income statement, but do patents themselves go on an income statement?

3) Bonds Paybable. - Typically long-term liability?

4) Regardless of where some of those accounts end up, my balance sheet still isn't equal on both sides. Which type of accounts do I subtract/less in a balance sheet? Allowance of bad debts? Treasury stock? Anything else?

Thanks.
    manik chand dey Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jun 27, 2008, 08:54 PM
    1. What I understood by allowance for bad debts is provision for bad debts.this is not a current asset rather this a current liability, but it is shown as deductions from the sundry debtors after providing for current year's bad debt.
    2. patents are not shown in income statement, rahter this are written off in the income statement each year.
    3. yes
    4. treasury stock are repurchased stocks by the company, shown as a deduction from equity in the liability side of the balance sheet.
    Alternativly you can go for rechecking the accounts in the ledger posting.or you can go for suspense a/c.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 07:14 PM
    The thread is two years old.

However, as long as we're at it, allowance for bad debt is not a liability. Bad debt is a receivable from a customer that is uncollectible. Since it is this company that is owed, how does this turn it into a liability, something the company would now owe to someone else? i.e. I owe you money and you decide you can't collect it. Does that mean you now owe someone else for this amount? Huh?

Allowance for bad debt is a contra asset account that offsets the balance of receivables for the estimated amount they think will be uncollectible, reducing the receivables down to their real value. If it can't be collected, it has no future value.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Multi-Step Income Statement & Classified Balance Sheet Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new in studying accounting. I have quiz coming up tomorrow and I was wondering how I set up a Certified balance sheet and a multi-step income statement. The example we received was this. On may 1st, 2006 Jane Win began the Jane Win Co. which owns a business selling gift items. She ivested...

Balance Sheet [ 3 Answers ]

1- The current section of a balance sheet includes which one of the following accounts? 1- Office Expenses 2- Accumulated depreciation 3- Advances from Clients 4- Mortgage Payable Thanks for your help Dell

Homework Assignment - Income Statement Balance [ 2 Answers ]

A-1 Photography Homework Assignment: Income Statement (Balance) Adjusted Trial Balance Entries: (Month Ending September 30, 2006) Service Revenue: Photographic Service Revenue 4,700 Expenses: Adjusted Trial Balance Amount:

View more questions Search