Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Being sued for credit card debt
    I am being sued for credit card debt. I am not sure what I need to do or how to handle everything. So whatever help you can give me would be great. I cannot afford an attorney so I am not sure how to handle things.
    ellie187 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Do you own a house? Are you on social sercurity? If this is the case,then the credit card company can put a lien onyour house or freeze your bank account.If you are not working and on social sercurity and do not own anything,then they can't do anything to you.
    Hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 06:01 AM
    I moved this to the Bankruptcy an Debt forum where its more appropriate. There are a bunch of threads here with eh same issue. Have you browsed through them?

The first thing you need to do is rrespond to the summons with your Intent to Defend to get a hearing. Otherwise they get a default judgement.

For us to help further we need to know more details. After browsing through previous threads let us know how we can help further.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ellie187
    Do you own a house? Are you on social sercurity? If this is the case,then the credit card company can put a lien onyour house or freeze your bank account.If you are not working and on social sercurity and do not own anything,then they can't do anything to you.
    Hope this helps.
    This is not quite accurate. First, most states do not permit a lien for unsecured debt to be placed on a primary residence. Second, even if they can't do anything now, once they have a judgement they can wait until there are assets to seize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for debt [ 11 Answers ]

OK I had a capital one card that I have not paid for proly a year now, only because I was not able to. I received a notice in the mail from law office of cohen and slamowitz claiming they are getting ready to sue me if I don't pay my debt. I currently owe $1800. I have called to try to come to an...

Debt & Being Sued [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have a problem. In 2001 I had an onset with RA (Rhuematoid Arthritis). I do have all types of paperwork about my illness. Will it help? I could not work and by 2003. I was better and starting working full-time again. I was later sued and got a judgement against me in FL....

Being Sued for a Debt I owe [ 6 Answers ]

I have been sued by an attorney hired by who I thought was a friend to gain $3650.00 that I do owe him. We had an arrangement I thought but that isn't the case now. The attorney sent me some papers to sign with a payment arrangement but I am reluctant to sign these papers for fear that I won't be...

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

View more questions Search