Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Planet Earth
    Has anyone else been watching the Planet Earth series that Discovery is running right now. I am addicted to it as is many of the teachers at my school. It is amazing how they catch the wildlife in their own habitat.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Wired magazine just had an article on the technology used for that series, it's quite remarkable - the series and the technology. I only wish I had an HD TV to appreciate it fully.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Hello:

Yes! It's stunning in Hi Def. I loved the flat lizards.

excon
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Yes, Tusc, it is a remarkable series. Can't get enough of it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:06 AM
    I thought the shark jumping out of the water at the seal was amazing. And the entire underwater episode. I can't even imagine what it looks like in HD.
    lindeelouky Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    Has anyone else been watching the Planet Earth series that Discovery is running right now. I am addicted to it as is many of the teachers at my school. It is amazing how they catch the wildlife in their own habitat.
    The night I saw the baby elephant that had lost it's way, and was following it's mothers footprints going the wrong direction broke my heart.
    I think that some of the sadder things, animals killing other animals and disturbing
    Images ought to be less focused on. We can "imagine" it without having to watch one animal stalk and then bury it's teeth into another animals throat. The fear of the victim physically makes me sick.
    I know this is "reality" but think they edit the show to force us to feel strong emotion and I don't like being manipulated. They mention "if the planet warms anymore" several times, and it is obvious that they are on the bandwagon against global warming, which is fine, but they show is slanted to make us feel rotton and that's the only thing I don't like.
    The photography is awesome and the peek inside the lives of animals is awesome.
    The polor bear story last night was again, disturbing to me. I just wanted to share how
    I feel, it is not all good.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Awesome Program!
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:17 AM
    I think the reason why I like it is just the reasons Lindeelouky does not like it. To me it is real life, survival of the fittest. The way the world works is that not everyone survives, not every thing is perfect. Did I like seeing things get killed or the elephant lose its mother. No I am not a mean person, but what I did like was that Discovery was willing to show the good as well as the bad.

I don't feel bad when I watch the show... just educated and fascinated by all the world has to offer.

Great new pic Ruby!
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Yes, lindeelouky, it is kind of distressing but, as Tuscany points out, it is the way the world works. I think my biggest problem with television today is that things are always edited in such a way as to blow things out of their proper proportion. Producers, directors, editors,. maximum situations that are in actuality minor incidents. Or, conversely, minimize things that should be maximized. As distressing as this series is, I think they do an excellent job of editing the natural order of the animal world. It is the closest the majority of us will ever get to seeing what truly happens in the wild. I find it utterly fascinating. Do I get upset when one animal tears apart another? Yes. I have the tendency to cry at the drop of a hat. I cry over Hallmark commercials. So, most of the time when it is something heartwrenching, I get sick to my stomach. But, it is a snapshot for us humans, of survival or non-survival, as the case may be, at it's purest and most basic form. I am riveted by that.
    lindeelouky Posts: 18, Reputation: 4

Apr 2, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Hey Tuscany,
    I guess I am more "sensitive" or emotional than a lot of other people. It does show real life and I admire that. My issue was that it seems to show these animals in such "desperate"
    Conditions and frequently equated it to global warming. Like, there is a secondary agenda to the program. Nothing wrong with that either. I was not bothered by dog snatching a bird in the course of the day, but the polar bear's desperation was so heartbreaking, and even make me want to become an activist against the warming of the planet and the harm that it does to things we don't think about during our routine day. Only pointing it out, not criticizing. The show is so wonderful, but it upsets me to watch it.
    My favorite so far was the little bird that transformed into a black oval with the fluorescent blue accent. It was jaw dropping!!
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:44 AM
    It is good to know that I am not the only one that cries at a hallmark commercial. The one with the crossing guard at Christmas always gets me... even when I am not PMSing.

Oh I agree with you Linde I think that there might be an alternate agenda. But I am compeltely impressed with it all. It amazes me how well the animals adapt to their environment.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Awesome show.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Yes, I have to add my 2 cents again. Linde, it does appear to be slanted in that direction. ACK! Producers! Whatcha going to do? They all do it. I find this agenda less offensive than most. :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 08:31 AM
    No kidding... editting is killer in Hollywood.
    Look at Survivor, The Amazing Race, The Dog Whisper just to name a few.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Hello again:

Wonder what it would look like if Bill O'Reilly edited it. It would probably be about animals who live on oil.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Could the Devil be from another planet? [ 48 Answers ]

This is a silly question maybe, and I know there is no scriptural basis for it. However, I recently saw John Carpenter's movie "Prince of Darkness", and it explains that Satan basically was an ancient evil being from another galaxy who came and tried to take over the earth. Anyway I thought it was...

He's fallen of the face of the planet! What do you think I should do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I only registered about 10 minutes ago, I really need some advice. My ex and I were in a relationship for over 8 months and it was serious pretty fast but both of us it seemed were comfortable with it. Everything was going great until almost 2 months ago he got sacked for a very stupid...

Pluto, Not A Planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently Pluto has been disqualified as a planet with our solar system. Can any of you experts explain to me how or why this was determined?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search