Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara2020 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2014, 01:46 AM
    Pick proof lock
    On my new house I would like to install a lock on the door that cannot be picked even be a professional locksmith. Does such a lock exist. I have heard about electronic locks that use a small keyboard built into it, then you make a password and then enter your password to open the lock, and also another lock that uses your fingerprint. Can these be picked? And what happened when the battery runs out are you locked out forever? Also the one that uses your fingerprint is is possible for someone to extract your saved fingerprint from it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2014, 04:01 AM
    Is the area you want to secure a fortified area? If not then there is no true pick proof lock. All locks take a sequence to open and close. The only thing you can do is limit the exposure to the sequence. If this is for a safe room then that is something you might want to research.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 04:43 AM
    There is no such thing as a pick proof lock. Second... the lock isn't going to be the weak link if someone wants in. The door itself is in most cases. Not only that but any windows you have on both the first and second floors.

Want an example...look at how police break into a place ina raid....they don't even bother with the locks, they break in the door. Many burglers and home invasions use the same tactic.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2014, 04:44 AM
    I am curious as to why you think you need such a high level of security. There is no such thing as a 100% secure lock. The idea is to make it so difficult to break into ,that burglars go elsewhere. Also a door lock is only one factor in securing a home. Are you installing a metal door with metal frame anchored to the walls by bolts? Putting a high level lock on a wooden door and frame doesn't make a lot of sense. What about other doors and windows? How are you securing them?

I would go with a fingerprint lock if you want higher security. There are ways to fool them (not by extracting the data from the lock), but it would require a very sophisticated person to do so. Otherwise a keypad lock is also good.

May 30, 2014, 01:54 PM
    I have a old enemy that happens to be a locksmith and am concerned they might try to pick my lock and steal or mess with my stuff. All the other areas are covered well and there are bars on the windows, but I need a pick proof lock.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2014, 02:38 PM
    Forget the pick proof lock because they don't exist... get a security system, or at least a security camera on the door, better eve if its on the inside and the outside....you can take the video to the police if he tried anything and he would be doing time and would never again work as a locksmith.

May 30, 2014, 03:46 PM
    Your best bet is an e3lectronic lock and a monitoring system. Any key based lock is subject to picking.

But I really doubt that you have to worry. Do you think this guy would risk losing his livelihood to extract revenge on you? There are many things he might try, but using his locksmith skills are very unlikely.

May 30, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Forget the pick proof lock because they don't exist... get a security system, or at least a security camera on the door, better eve if its on the inside and the outside....you can take the video to the police if he tried anything and he would be doing time and would never again work as a locksmith.
    I am pro active. I want to prevent him from getting in not arrest him after he gets in. Also once he gets in he could erase the tapes. I don't want to tear up my house and run wires for a security system.

May 30, 2014, 04:35 PM
    You aren't getting this. No one can stop someone determined. What you have to ask yourself is how far he will go for revenge.
    Uber Member

May 30, 2014, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sara2020 View Post
    I am pro active. I want to prevent him from getting in not arrest him after he gets in. Also once he gets in he could erase the tapes. I don't want to tear up my house and run wires for a security system.
    New ones don't have "tapes"... they are hard drive based. And you won't leave it sit inside the front door.

Or is there really a bit more to this than you are telling us?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2014, 01:59 AM
    Any house can be broken into.

Those that use fingerprint or codes do fine but can be opened by someone trained.
    And a glass window to break is still easy way to enter if they want.

?? Erase tape? You have not looked at security systems in a while. Many are wireless, and professionals run the wires you can seldom see.

Sorry, but an alarm goes off, to scare them away, and or notify the police.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

United states proof set of coins 1978 still lock in a black case [ 1 Answers ]

Theses coins are 5 coins 1978 silver never been out od the case its a black case and red inside 1coin is a silver dollar one coin is a silver 50cent peace the another coin is a silver quarter and then a silver dime and then a silver nickel and a penny all lock in a box with...

How to pick a lock [ 1 Answers ]

I found an old master lock pad lock in my house and my dad offered me a 100 bucks if I open it. I have no idea where the key is and I really need he money. Any body got some tips?

Can't turn on laptop, all caps lock,Num lock, scr. Lock lights are on [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one help me, please I don't know what did my kids do my sony laptop, now I can't turn it on. When I turn on the laptop, only power, battery and hard drive lights are on but the screen is not on at all. All caps lock, Num lock and Screen lock lights are on all the time, the laptop doesn't...

How to pick a lock [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a technique which works on most padlocks? What is the best thing to use for lock-picking?

Tried to pick the car door lock [ 3 Answers ]

1998 Kia Sephia. I locked keys in the ingnition and tried, unsuccessfully to pick the passenger door lock with a bobby pin (all I could find). Now the key to unlock the door won't go all the way in. Any ideas on how to fix it?

View more questions Search