Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soho1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 03:17 PM
    How much power am I really using on this circuit?
    Background: I recently put in a new circuit to stop blowing the breaker on a line that shared my washer, dryer, and dishwasher. Hurrah! So, I got to thinking...

Question: I have a LOT of computer gadgets plugged into a circuit, but I never seem to have any problem with it. However, when I add up all the input amps for gadget chargers, computers, etc, I wonder why am I NOT blowing a circuit breaker?

Example (assuming my math is correct):

12 Amps for desktop computer #1
    10 Amps for desktop computer #2
    (hmm, should have blown a 20 amp circuit already?)
    3 Amps for 6x60w light bulbs
    2.5 A for an HP Laptop charger
    1.3 A for a Dell Laptop charger
    1.5 A for an external Monitor#1
    1.0 A for an external Monitor#2
    2 A for printer #1
    .5 A for printer #2
    .75 A for my air purifier
    .35 A for a portable phone
    .2 A for my cell phone charger
    .08 A for my digital camera charger

That doesn't even include the TV, papper shredder, various external USB drives that I often plug in, etc.

Yes, all this stuff is on the same 20-amp circuit breaker. What am I missing here? Do the computers not really draw the power listed on the power supplies? If that's the case, how do I really calculate my needs? I have new gadgets to plug in, but I'm concerned.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 05:23 PM

They are all MAXIMUMS. Think of a car, say 400 HP. At idle, your using 0 HP. What about going downhill? Pulling on a tree? Coasting? Steady state speed?

All different power levels.

Cell phone charger: Batter fully charged. Batter fully discharged. Battery, somewhere in between. All different power levels.
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 04:30 PM

A cheap device such as this would help: Amazon.com: P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor: Camera & Photo

Some devices, still relatively cheap have graphing capabilities and the abilit to download to a computer.

You should limit the circuit loading to 80% if the loads are on all the time.

We don't get notificatons when reputation is given. We have to look.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 01:16 AM

Looking at your list again, the laptop chargers and the computer power draw is very variable and probably no where near the listed currents.

The light bubs can be counted directly and probably the air purifier too. The monitors are probably close to the rated power. That would depend primarily on brightness. Printers aren't on all the time.

The phone may only draw that amount of current if the battery is nearly dead and the phone rings.

Get the idea?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One circuit knocking out power to another circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 wire grounded Romex cable connected to 2 circuit breakers by sending one black to a breaker and one red to another circuit breaker. They lead back to the kitchen wall where one gives power to the garbage disposal and the other gives power to the dishwasher. Both have GFCI protectors on...

Taking power from existing 3 way circuit to power another switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have another question, hope its not too confusing. I have an existing 3 way switch for the lights in my stairwell. I want to change the single gang box to a 2 gang box and add another switch to power 6 new can lights. Can I disconnect the hot (black) wire and add a pigtail and feed power to...

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have no power on one circuit from the breaker box... I have replaced the breaker, all outlets, switches, and light receptacles on the circuit... all wire junctions seem to be secure... any other ideas??

No power to all outlets on circuit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a mobile home and one side of home has power and the other does not breakers are not tripped and seem to be working fine. Any ideas thanks Tim

Power out on half of a circuit [ 1 Answers ]

A few days ago half of a circuit went dead. The circuit is on a 15 amp breaker and feeds outlets in 2 bedrooms(about 8 total), track lighting (in one bedroom) and a hallway light. If you plug in and turn on something it causes the outlets and the track lighting to go dead.or sometimes just turning...

View more questions Search