Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimee_tt Posts: 340, Reputation: 143

Jun 17, 2010, 10:59 PM
    Old people give me looks!
    Last night I took my niece who's 3 shopping. In the two hours I was there I got 5 evil stares from old men and a few big mouthed ladies said something about me as they walked past.

My niece looks like me we have the same hair colour and eye colour and if you look at photos of me as a child, you would think they are my niece. So last night one lady while walking past says 'she is way to young to have a child' that I can handle. But one lady last night walks past looks at my niece and smiles (shes cute) then looks at me and says 'gosh another teenage sl*t'!

Im a quiet person so I just keep walking. But what I find most rude is she is swearing in front of my niece! Like keep your opinions to yourself! I have a child with me.

This happens every time I take her out. But I don't usually get called names like last night.

I know everyone is againts teenagers getting pregnant and I am too. But when one falls pregnant I'm not going to DEGRADE them in the middle of the shopping centre. If I had bad thoughts about them I keep them to myself!

Its usually people of a different race to me that comment.. Mainly the arabic. (please don't take this as racist) but the lady who called me a name last night wore a scarf (not sure what they are called)

I do get a lot of dirty looks and it does make me feel uncomfortable at times as they have this angry look. Probably doesn't help that I'm 21 and look 18 to most people

I want to know what peoples oppinions are?

Do other people also get these looks often?

Anyone else think society needs a good kick up the bottom!

p.s the forum community section wouldn't show options. So I placed it here
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 11:14 PM

I probably shouldn't even answer this because I HATE when people make assumptions like that. I'm not very good about keeping my mouth shut when people are stupid.

Yes I agree, society does need a good kick up the bottom! Lol

Jun 17, 2010, 11:21 PM

The thing that anoys me the most is that she calles me a sl*t.. I mean if she was my kid doesn't make me a... GRRR
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 11:35 PM

I know what you mean. And I was with one of my best friends out shopping the other day. She's only about 10 years older than I am. This guy just assumed that I was her daughter. Now, granted she does some tanning, which makes her look a little older, still doesn't make her look old enough to be my mom. He was joking about me breaking curfew and this and that. I thought my friend was going to cry. Sometimes it would be better if people wouldn't open their mouths when they don't know the situation.

Jun 17, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    Sometimes it would be better if people wouldn't open their mouths when they don't know the situation.
    I agree 100%.

I just wish others thought that too.

She's lucky my niece didn't start saying that word or my sister and brother in law would have hunted her down and told her where to go lol
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 17, 2010, 11:56 PM

People always have an opinion. Unfortunately, too often these days people actually voice that opinion.

In the '70s, when I'd be out shopping, I was scolded by people for allowing my baby to be too warm or too cold or shouldn't I be home cooking dinner or something. You can't win. If people tend to notice the same thing(s) all the time, put together a pleasant response -- "Isn't she a cutie? She's my niece" -- smile (perhaps), and keep moving..
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 18, 2010, 05:46 AM

Aimee, I'd have to ask myself... why does it matter to me? I don't even notice people that may be noticing me.On the other hand, if I did notice. They could look, assume, or make judgement all they want because YOU know your truth. To waste any discomfort on what others may assume about you is a waste. Don't give your power away.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 06:01 AM

I'd try not to worry about what other people are saying about you. BUT, If I had overheard someone saying that remark, I would have had to asked her to watch her language in front of your niece. That statement lets her know that not only was she wrong in her assumption, but that she shouldn't be using vulgar language in front of children.

Let her walk away feeling guilty, not you.
    soho1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aimee_tt View Post
    The thing that anoys me the most is that she calles me a sl*t.. I mean if she was my kid doesnt make me a .... GRRR
    If this happens often, try preparing and practicing a remark in advance, like covering the kid's ears and saying "OMG, Auntie Aimee has to protect you from the degenerate old person, or your mom will kill me!"
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 12:32 PM

Hi Aimee,

This is the way society is today, freedom of speech, sometimes has a lot to answer for.
    However, it doesn't mean the person making the comment is always right, quite the opposite in this case.

Normally I would say.. just rise above it and walk on... The fact that the comment was of a some what nasty nature, I'm afraid I would have to confront the person making the comments, and quietly but strongly put her straight.

Sadly it's usually ( not always ) senior citizens that make these comments, I hear them every day where I work.There are many teens who have babies in the area.Infact I would go as far as to say probably 90%+, with not a man in sight.
    However this does not make them a sl-t. I think it's a case of that wouldn't happen in my day routine... old school stuff that I'm afraid is here to stay until the next generation.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2010, 08:55 PM

I would either ignore the looks and remarks or respond, "Not that it's any of your concern, but I do not have children, and she does not have teenage parents." You might still be annoyed by it but perhaps they'll think better before treating someone else the same way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why do we give speciffic people "Special Treatment", does it work? [ 7 Answers ]

Now first off, I'm not saying that these people are bad, wrong, or unacceptable. I'm not saying people should stop helping these people but, I'm saying if we might realize that we are all equal and that we are one of the same, maybe we could learn to get along and work together. I...

People talk to me, and give me tips - I've just been dumped! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I'm 18 years old and I have just been dumped. We were friends beforehand (only 14 at the time) and he cheated on this girl to be with me. We then started dating and we got along great, hence the reason we were together for over 3 years. I have to admit I think I loved him more, I put...

View more questions Search