Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billyjean Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Social security disability
    I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years.
    At the time I filed for SSID I didn't have enough credits for regular SSD and I still do not have enough.
    My question is since I got sick when I was so young can I go back and file again for SSD since you don't need as many credits when you are younger?
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

Jul 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
    A couple of things: You were awarded SSI Disability and have been collecting the payments for some time now. You're receiving the same amount (basically - a couple of 'what ifs' can come into play here) as everyone else receiving SSI. There's no way SSA is going to suddenly re-open / review your entire case and give you retro pay for 40 years. And the fact that your doctor "thinks" you might have had it for a long time is Never going to fly. Your 'claim' was received and approved, be happy with that! I just heard there are apprx. 500,000 'claims' waiting to be processed...
    kayakinggirl Posts: 58, Reputation: 5

Sep 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
    You may, however be eligible for CIB ( child's insurance benefits) if one of your parents was recing disability before you turned 22 and can prove it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 05:37 AM
    NO
    They never go back further than the date you applied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Child support and social security disability [ 7 Answers ]

My ex said he is trying to get on disability so that he doesn't have to pay child support. Is this true? We live in PA

Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions...

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search