Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Norrie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Cannot Display Page
    I was previously able to connect to www.officecalendar.com. Now when I try to access this site, I always get "Page cannot be displayed" message from IE. I cannot see the site from my PPC either. I've checked browser settings, firewall settings, switched off FW, even tried running WinSock XP Fix, all to no avail. I cannot ping the server [64.182.85.180] without 100% data loss. Tracert www.officecalendar.com gets as far as hop 11 216.218.217.182, thereafter hops time out. Ping 216.218.217.182 responds OK. I just get the feeling this is not a problem with my PC, but a path issue. I have no idea how to investigate further or fix it. Lookout Software assure me their site is up and running, so why can't I access it? Help!
    Norrie
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Hi are u using a router if so try to access eBay.co.uk if you can't ask your isp what the MTU setting is and cange it on the router. Thatfixed my problems.

Jan 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Yes, I am using a Linksys BEFSR81 router, as I was when I could previously access this site. BTW, I can access eBay.co.uk no problem. In fact I can access most links if they are active. Just seems to be a problem with www.officecalendar.com that I know of, and as I spent a fair bit of cash on OfficeCalendar last year, I do want to be able to visit their site.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2006, 04:52 PM
    First things first, have you COMPLETELY cleared your internet cache ?
    Tools > Internet Options clear Histort, cookies and temp files.
    This may be a routing issue with your local ISP and their DNS settings.
    You could always try changing your DNS to access a different server and go from there.
    If you would let us know what kind of connection and OS you are using we will be able to give you better advice.

Jan 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Hi Curlyben. Yes, I have completely cleared my internet cache. I specifically did so, and checked site access again, but problem still persists. Incidentally I also run Webroot Window Washer at every shutdown to clear out all rubbish so it never gets to build up! I suspect you are correct about it being a routing issue, possibly with my ISP. Don't know how to change to a different server, but what I can say is that I use Win XP Home SP2 on this PC with a broadband cable connection from Telewest blueyonder.co.uk. Is this enough for you to be more specific?
    Norrie
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2006, 05:16 PM
    OK then lets try a different DNS setting.
    Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Netwrok Connections.

Now you either want your Blueyonder or Loacl Area Connection icon.
    Right click > Properties
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
    In the bottom pain check the 'use the following DNS settings and enter
    AND
    Then OK and OK on the next box.

Hopefully this should now work as its routing via a different DNS to Telewests.

When I used NTL I continually had DNS issues and these settings resolved my issue.

Jan 3, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Changed DNS Settings as per your instructions. Checked Status to make sure change had taken effect. Problem still not fixed. Need to logoff now, will resume thread tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
    How long has this been happening?

Have you tried contacting your ISP?

Here's something to try. Log into the router's web interface and see if you can find a "diagnostics" page. Somewhere there should be a way for you to ping and traceroute the site from the router itself. See if there's any difference.
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
    The only other thing I can think of is;
    Have you rebooted your router AND cable modem?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 02:32 AM
    Well I can't access the page either so I don't think it's your problem but theirs. Try contacting them again.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:35 AM
    Access page
    HI,
    Just for info, I did access this page on OfficeCalendar, Wed, 6:35 am, EST.

Jan 4, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Hi to all
    Many thanks for your comments. To answer you questions... this particular website access problem has been ongoing for many months now, but as I had no real need to access the site once OfficeCalendar was installed and running, I put it to the bottom of my "to do" list"!

I re-booted both modem and router after making changes. Even tried connecting the PC's NIC direct to the modem to eliminate all home network variables -- no change.

When LTheobald added that he also an an access issue with this site, I finally decided it was time to contact my ISP. Within seconds the problem was resolved by going to Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > LAN Settings, check "Use a proxy server for your LAN" > Advanced button, enter HTTP: "webcache.blueyonder.co.uk" Port: "8080". Press OK x3. Close down and restart IE, and the problem has disappeared! Then reset Curlyben's DNS changes back to my original settings, and it still works fine.

Interestingly, the Telewest tech said his attempt to Traceroute to this site failed at Hop 9, outside their area of control. OK, so the problem is now overcome, but can someone please explain why adding a Proxy Server has cured this?

This is the first time I have ever resorted to a Discussion Group to resolve a technical issue, and I suspect it won't be the last! Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks.
    Norrie
    BossMan

Jan 4, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Weird indeed.
    There maybe another underlying issue with the site as I can't ping it either.
    What you have added is Telewest's webcache to save some time. This will make your connection seem a lot faster than it really is. So you are looking at their cached copy of the site first, a bit like surfing off line.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter a great deal as you can gain access.
    Glad everything was resolved for you :)
    chrono Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 05:39 PM
    For weeks I have been blocked by the same server with no apparent workaround. I have performed all the checks listed above to no avail.
    In my case, 216.218.217.182 is hop 6 on my way to www.nhf.org
    (69.13.130.176).
    I have 2 different systems running XP SP2 through a Verizon DSL connection. The problem occurs with both. I've even tried tapping into another wireless router in my area with the same results.
    I can seemingly access every other web site on the planet but this one, and no one outside of my area seems to have any problems accessing NHF.
    The Verizon tech said since the server is out of their control there is nothing they can do.

Help?

Apr 17, 2006, 03:12 AM
    Interesting to get a follow-up on this server access issue -- I thought it was dead in January! What I can add to the discussion thread is that after I regained access to www.officecalendar.com by using a proxy server at the suggestion of my ISP, I also established a useful dialogue with Lookout Software, the company behind this application. They agreed that my problem was due to their use of a hosting company that in turn used a 3rd party provider to supply it with a range of IP's, some of which are known to be malicious. The bottom line is that because of the risk from hackers and "social engineers" they had deliberately blocked access to specific IP's, which is apparently why I could not get into their site. This problem is particularly bad when routing via the Netherlands. They accepted that this could potentially affect business from clients in Europe. Lookout subsequently set out to unblock these IP's and instead rely on their security measures.

Certainly since that time I have had no troubole getting into www.officecalendar.com. I am now using a brand new computer, and even without use of a proxy server can access their site no problem. You may want to consider contacting the final destination URL www.nhf.org for help, because it is obviously in their best interest that their site can be accessed! Unfortunately, apart from wishing you "Good luck!" I cannot help you further.
    Best regards
    Norrie
    chrono Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 03:36 PM
    I appreciate the sentiment.
    Fortunately, I can put my laptop in my car and drive a half mile to a hotspot and access NHF no problem. It's just a pain ITA.
    I have a new acquaintance trying to track down the owner of that server. Did anybody else ever find out who's it was?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Display problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I've bought a new computer, but the display just show on 32 bits the pictures and the dvd videos, the desktop, internet explorer pictures, and other stuff looks if I have the depslay setting at 16 colors, what can I do,surelly is Softare problem, because the pictures looks great at this HP...

Laptop display [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toshiba laptop and the hinges on the screen are busted so the screen will not stay up. It just flops forward(closed) or back(open). The laptop has the speakers on the sides of the screen and they look like they are popped up but I have tried to push them down and it does nothing they don't...

View more questions Search