Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drn2323 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Tree roots decomposing
    We pulled out a tree and the roots are now decomposing causing our lawn to sink.
    How do I fix this?

Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I know that this can be a problem because when the ground is sinking it can be a hazard that people may trip over in the dark. Also, certain types of bees love to nest in any holes or air pockets that are left.

If the roots are decayed enough that they have become really soft, you might want to try tilling up the are with a type of tiller that rotates really fast, like a Mantis Garden Tiller. Smooth out the dirt with a rake.. See how level/smooth it is. May need to fill with dirt and plant grass seed or lay some sod.

If the roots are not soft enough to do the above and without doing a lot of digging by hand to remove the roots, I would just fill in with dirt and add grass seed, maybe clumps of sod where they fit. Might need to keep doing this as the roots continue to decay.

I have the same problem in my front yard from a big, old tree that was cut down years ago. I just keep filling in the sunken spots.

Apr 8, 2007, 04:19 PM
    I have filled the spots with potting soil in hopes the grass will fill in and level out the
    Area where it sunk. Do I need to add grass seed? This is a tall fescue sod lawn.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
    If it is a tall fescue, it should spread. How soon, depends on the type. You mention filling in spots, which makes me think that you are filling in small areas. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the areas are large you may want to plant some seeds.

My areas are small. I usually don't plant any grass seed because the grass spreads and fills it in fairly quickly.

The following site may be of use to you. I hope that it is.

Tall Fescue for Forage Production

Apr 8, 2007, 06:08 PM
    It is a small area. I am hoping this will work. It is not only a safety issue, it
    Is does not look good as well. Thanks for your answers.
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 07:48 PM
    You are welcome and thank you!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Your potting soil fix is actually quite good. The roots run everywhere so you probably can't dig them all up, you'll miss one. The roots will keep rotting for a few years, add some soil and seed twice a year. Just wait until the mushrooms start growing, they like to follow the root lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tree Roots Patio? [ 1 Answers ]

I am wanting to install a Stamped concrete patio behind our garage. 12'x18' is the size. We have a very large Silver Maple tree in the back yard with many large roots on the top of the ground in the location we'd like to put the patio. Our concern is that these roots would grow up under the...

Covering maple tree roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have two red maples in my lawn whose roots I want to cover with mounds of "river rock" (about the size of tennis balls). Any problem?

Taking out tree roots [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I tried to do a search on this first but didn't come up with anything specific to answer my question. We are in a home we are renting but we are allowed to do some outdoor work so we took out some hedge-like bushes in the front of our house by tearing them out with our truck. We tied the...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search