Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beautybabe12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown?
    Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown.

My hair is actually still very healthy after bleaching and dying it today... I was wondering what can i do to make it more of an ash brown? should i bleach it again then try a lighter ash brown? or how do I get the red out? Thanks so much for any help! I'm inserting my hair before I dyed it and after... maybe it can help show you how it came out..

&

I would really like it this color... or a little darker..
    P.S. my eyes are blue so I this color would work... thanks again!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 16, 2007, 04:46 PM
    You don't have to bleach your hair again. If you want to tone down the red tones and make your hair look more ash brown, use an ash brown color. Leave the color mixture on for ten minutes, then rinse it out.
    dispicablycool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 03:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautybabe12
    hi i have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. i have been dying it black for the past two years. today i bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". obviously it didnt come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown.

my hair is actually still very healthy after bleaching and dying it today... i was wondering what can i do to make it more of an ash brown? should i bleach it again then try a lighter ash brown? or how do i get the red out? thanks so much for any help! im inserting my hair before i dyed it and after...maybe it can help show you how it came out..

&

i would really like it this color... or a little darker..
    P.S. my eyes are blue so i this color would work... thanks again!
    Hey, sorry I'm no use to what you asked but id like to ask you a question! I dyed my hair jet black yesterday [im naturally very dark brown] and it was meant to be dark brown [it'd gone ginger from previous dying] but it went black, id love to have it the colour you did in the second pic or just any colour brown, uve achieved this really well so I know you've said how but if possible could you explain how you got it from black to brown so fast? I can't afford anything too expensive either! Please help because I start 6th form on Monday! Xx
    piggypower Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 09:46 AM
    When I had mine an "ash" brown, it had a greenish tint..

Then again, I did it from a box

And for the second person, your color might fade eventually!
    Dj5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
    I need help also. I Have dark Brown Hair almost black so I bleached it Blonde and tried to dye it Ruby red. It is now almost Pink. I bought Revlon LIght Brown. If I try to dye it will it even take? Or will it stay red? I don't want to waste another box of dye or ruin my hair even more if it doesn't work and I have to re-dye it. Please help I have interviews next week I don't want punk rock pink hair Lol

I need help also. I Have dark Brown Hair almost black so I bleached it Blonde and tried to dye it Ruby red. It is now almost Pink. I bought Revlon LIght Brown. If I try to dye it will it even take? Or will it stay red? I don't want to waste another box of dye or ruin my hair even more if it doesn't work and I have to re-dye it. Please help I have interviews next week I don't want punk rock pink hair Lol

SexxiiBabyGurl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
    I had black hair to, best thing to do is bleach it than buy a lightner it works and buy a reli light brown and it come ou a nice ash brown I had it done bu when back dark I've had red,pink,black,purple whole lot in and it worked for me hun try it.. :D
    tiffany2710 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
    I dye my hair black cherry from wella on 12/31/2009 and the top looks red but the points are like a brown color. I can I make it like a brown color
    raiha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 06:14 AM
    Hi , I had the same problem, every time I dyed my hair it would gow a reddish brown (which I hated) especially since the box had promised ash brown.
    To be honsest getting red tones out of your hair is very (and I mean VERY) difficult.
    However I wasn't going to settle for this , and seeing as I dyed my hair all the time I had worked out what I needed to do.

So if like me ,you are still determined you will need to :

Use bleach ,or highlighter. We all know that this can be very damaging , but if done correctly you should see result. For those who cannot afford to go to the salon
    You need to at least visit your local salon for the bleach, shop ones are not that good.

Any way you need to bleach your hair first , not so much on the roots as you will end up with lighter roots and darker ends.
    THEN... apply a medium ash brown (or light)
    This will give you the ash tone your looking for , trust me, I went from red to black, and then to ash brown , needless to say having that much color in my hair means that its dead, and dull , plus it doesn't grow anymore (I miss my hair when I was about fifteen m it was down to my waist and shiny) now its up to my shoulders and light brown, but not as healthy...

NOW. For those with a little patience and money (and those worried about damaging hair)

The best way really .is to have highlights, then another batch maybe twoo weeks later, until its blondish, once you have achieved this then you can add your ash color
    And trust me, this is the best way , your hair won't be damaged as much, plus it will be shiny. Think about it , you would rather have shiny hair than dull lifeless coloured hair... shiny hair makes one look prettier, I knew this not so pretty girl,who had shiny hair down to her back , and it made her look gorgeous like a model

Finally people , after dying , ivest in hair products, don't wash hair too often, cut down on blowdryin , straightening, and leave your conditionor in... leave irgin olive oil in at night ,and wash out in the morning, xxxxxx

p.s you guys must be thinking how sad am I to write all of this, but I love thes kind of forums, one can learn so much

Enjoy
    Melimosher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 05:21 PM
    I had dyed honey blonde hair for years then went brown,it got darker&darker till it looked black,it was nice and healthy but I didn't want the black look so tried to get it lighter... It is lighter but not what I totally wanted but can live with for a month or so... Basically pre lighten hair to a light orange colour... Sorry but orange you will have to bear with... Feel free to bleach it yellow or lighter but yr hair will be killed! So now you have orange hair , put light ash brown on(THE ASH TONES THE ORANGE)you will have the slightest hint ov a copper tone but hair will be in the brown zone... You could add hilights in a month or two or atempt going lighter but I wouldnt(save your hair) youv lightend it from brown/black be gratefull!
    mamilina Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
    What color that takes over my light intense auben hair color

Jan 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
    What color can I use too take over my red hair with out bleaching it?

Jan 17, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Does any one know what color its best for the red too come off
    nevethathomie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 06:43 PM
    Suck a ****
    hairqual Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
    A couple of months ago I tried dying my hair from an gingerish brown colour to brown, I bleached and lightened it then put ash brown on top of it but it just turned an even lighter ginger, and now its starting to turn a green tint. Is there any ways on which I can get rid of my ginger and go a really nice light ash brown?
    mrskaylaj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I love the look I tried to dye mine back to my natural color which is what your hair is in the second pic. My hair is dyed dark black/brown so I dyed it and this is the before and after photo tell me how did you do it I want to know what you did and what you used please!!
    Attached Images

BarbieSparkles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 03:56 AM
    You just need to tone the warmth out of it.. basically a hair dye that is really cool with blue/green in it! If the warmth is still coming through after dying it, consider putting a shade darker on and letting it fade out, then dying it a shade lighter afterwards!
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Sep 22, 2013, 06:04 AM
    My hair is soft black, I dyed it for the first time with garnier 4.15 cool brown then after few weeks garnier 6.34 chocolate brown, the color is more of orange in sun so I ddnt like it, I want to dye it black-brown color, but have no idea what to use ! I am scared to use darker dye and it will turn black and can't lighten it anymore.. any help would be appreciated if from experience, thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a medium brown permanent hair dye over adark brown permanent hair dye? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some advice about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair dark brown permanent, my hair colour is naturally dark brown but now my hair is black and really making me look very hard and pale. Am I able to buy a permanent medium brown hair dye to lighten it up? I have read your site and see...

Can I dye my black hair brown? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair black with permanent dye for about five years. The last time I dyed it was four months ago, and now I want to dye it dark brown. Can I just dye over it or do I have to get rid of the black first?

Coloring hair ash brown turns red/orange [ 5 Answers ]

I've been coloring my hair at home for about a year with Ion brand hair color that I purchased from Sally's. The problem is that it colors slightly red/orange. I would like a cooler shade of brown. Does anyone know why this happens and how I correct it? I use medium ash brown with 20 developer. ...

Brown Hair Dye Turned Black [ 4 Answers ]

I Dyed My Teenage Daughters Hair Last Night. It Was Supposed To Be Dark Brown. Some Is Dark Brown, But Most Of It Looks Black. What Can I Do To Lighten It. She Left For School In Tears This Morning. She Thinks It Looks Gothic. Please Help.

How do I dye my jet black hair to a light brown color? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I dyed my hair dark brown but obviously it came out in this unnatural gothic black color. How do I color it back to something like ight or medium brown? Can I use semi permanent haircolor or something else? If so what color do you recommend I use? Thanks

View more questions Search