Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Trying to share a printer over home wifi
    Hi Guys and gals,

I have a new work laptop that I bring home. I can access my home wireless network to use the internet but I can't see the printer on the base station (home desktop that is always on).
    - the printer on the desktop is indeed shared
    - the computers are in different workgroups (laptop usually is on work domain but I log in using cached credentials)

Can I use that printer if they are on diff workgroups?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 02:53 PM
    The base station that you are referring to is this the WiFi router and is the printer attached by USB to it ?
    What model is it?
    If so I have a similar setup using a USR WiFi router.
    Basically you have to make sure that the print driver is on each machine that you want to use the printer on.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jul 21, 2006, 02:56 PM
    You can do one of two things to get around the problem quickly:

a) change your home network to a workgroup that matches that of your work.
    b) Setup your home computer to run printing services and then on your work laptop setup a TCP/IP printer and point it at the IP of your home computer.

Hope this helps Need.

Casey
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
    This may help, OK its for my USR9108, but the setup should be similar.
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Nuts I just reread your question and had a serious D'oH moment.
    Ignore all my Router stuff as it doesn't apply.

OK have you tried mapping the printer by IP address ?
    \\192.168.x.x\printer
    You'll still need the correct print driver on your laptop
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Should I set up my home computer to have a static IP in order to use that option?

I don't think I can change my home desktop Workgroup to match the laptop since the laptop is set for our department domain - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ben: I'm using a Comtrend DSL modem going into a Microsoft wireless router (got it real cheap of course, they stopped making them)
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Should I set up my home computer to have a static IP in order to use that option?
    YES, will make things a hell of a lot easier

Ben: I'm using a Comtrend DSL modem going into a Microsoft wireless router (got it real cheap of course, they stopped making them)
    WoW interesting how America likes to go for separate bits where as UK prefers all in one gateways.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Ok, I'll set it up in a while, got to open a wine bottle first. :)

BTW - Canada here. We're a little funny about that. Kind of like kiwis and aussies.
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Sorry I meant the North Americas
    I hear you same as England not being the same as Europe. ;)

Jul 21, 2006, 06:38 PM
    I don't think I can change my home desktop Workgroup to match the laptop since the laptop is set for our department domain - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
    I'm about 90% sure (I don't have a laptop to try this anymore as I have switched to Macs). I used to have a WinXP laptop that was part of the domain at work (I'm 90% sure it was). And I had a similar problem where I wanted to print and use shared drives at home. So what I did was setup my home workgroup to be the same as that of work. Then my laptop not being able to find a DC would login me using cached credentials. Once I'm logged in since I had a local work group that trusted anyone in the same workgroup would allow the laptop to use local resources. Accessing the laptop from the local computers was another matter as the laptop did not trust it. I had to share and allow anyone access on the laptop before I would be able to access laptop shares from the local home net.

Casey

P.S. Agree with Ben that static will make things easier.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 22, 2006, 04:12 AM
    I agree with Casey on this, just name your workgroup the same name as the domain you use at work. Also I would create the same user account on the other machines on the workgroup with the same password. Authentication should work then, also once you can authenticate on the home workgroup, you shouldn't need static ip addresses (only if you're going to connect via ip address rather than host name)

Jul 22, 2006, 04:29 AM
    I just found this whilst browsing around:

http://www.mayabase.nl/index.php?PageID=22

Haven't tried it but maybe worth a look?
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Ok, here's the update:
    I tried IP printing after setting a static IP on the desktop that has the printer attached. I installed the printer drivers on the laptop as well but the printing gives an error - it just stays in the queue untils it times out.

I'd like to try to workgroup idea but here's my problem: the laptop is set to a domain (xxxx.ca) that I do not want to change since I have to log in at work every once in a while. The desktop is set to MSHOME workgroup. My question is: can I set my desktop to join a non-existent xxxx.ca domain? If I were to set it up like that would I now have a working pivate network (ie. Share folders, printers, etc.)?

Stu - while the IT folk have given me added permissions and rights I don't think I can swing that sweet little utility but it's good to know it's out there, thanks.

Jul 22, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Your desktop doesn't need to join the domain at all. It's just a fix, rename your workgroup to xxxx (without the .ca) and leave as a workgroup. As Casey said, the workgroup will then authenticate you cause your laptop (although on a domain) shows the same name when authenticating i.e xxxx\username whether xxxx is a domain or a workgroup. It is different if you wanted to access another domain though, that wouldn't work.

Just rename your workgroup to the same and give it a try, you should then be able to share folders and printers etc from the desktop to the laptop. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Try adding the printer as a local printer. When prompted to select the port, add a new TCP/IP port with the IP of the base PC.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 03:51 AM
    No luck boys, I think it may have to do with my restricted permissions. Is it possible that the port used by the printing on the laptop is blocked?
    Laptop printing is set to IP_192.168.2.5 and I see it's using port 9100. The desktop is indeed 192.168.2.5, the printer is shared, and I turned off ZoneAlarm on the desktop (in case it was blocking the port). I installed the printer drivers on the laptop.

I still get the "Document failed to print"

Jul 23, 2006, 04:18 AM
    Need,

There are two methods for sharing a printer via a PC. One is by using the traditional shared resource method (i.e. shared drive or printer) whereby you are in essence relying on NETBOIS. The other is by using standard TCP/IP.

So when you try to print to a shared printer such as \\desktopcomputer\printername then you are using NETBIOS. First you send your request to the computer in question which then receives your request over NETBIOS and then processes the job locally to the attached printer. However, when you print to a TCP/IP printer you will be sending your request over TCP/IP using port 9100.

Now, your desktop already runs NETBIOS and other than sharing the printer there isn't much you need to do. However, to print to a TCP/IP printer you need to have a server that will listen on the desktop usiong an LPD/LPR service which will then communicate with the printer directly.

You can follow this link which should help you install the service using the add/remote programs method: http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/print-lpr.shtml

Having said all of that... can you summarize so far what you've done? There's been lots of things you've changed and it would help us narrow the problem down. I'm convinced that you still can print using the printer as a shared resource and using NETBIOS. It could be a simple error somewhere that's preventing you from printing. So what are these settings:
    • DOMAIN or WORKGROUP settings on each device
      • exact name used in the settings and whether or not domain/workgroup.
    • Static/DHCP settings of each device
      • For static devices (list all the settings under the network properties. I'm specifically interested in the settings for NETBIOS over TCP/IP options)
    • How each device is connected (wired/wireless/esp)
    • Usernames used on each (you can protect the innocent here)
    • How the current printer is shared on the desktop (i.e. security permissions)
    Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing my neighbors wifi;surfing habits [ 4 Answers ]

If my neighbor allows me to use his wifi for free, can he view my surfing habits? He happens to be a computer programmer. If so, is there any way to prevent him from seeing my surfing habits? Thanks

Wifi max and psp [ 1 Answers ]

First things first I bought a wifi max 4 ma psp and everything was working at first but now when I try 2 connect to the internet on ma psp all I get is this message " Communication with the server failed. A DNS server has occurred. (80410410) All my settings are correct and I think its nothing...

How do I move files and share printer when networking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell desktop as my main computer and a dell laptop, (wireless) as second computer, I installed a Linksys broadband wireless router and I'm able to share the internet connection, but I don't understand how to share files or move them between the two, also need to share the printer and...

Need help to share files and printer through Network [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have networked two home computers together and am now having a problem with the sharing of the printer and files. On the first computer (main), I am running Windows XP with a wireless-B Broadband Router and on the secondary computer, I am running Windows 98SE with a wireless USB adapter....

Network printer share problem [ 1 Answers ]

This is my problem. Have a win NT 4.0 network. Working on migrating windows 2003 server network. Have upgraded 2 computer workstations from win 98 to XP pro. Everything went fine. One machine that was upgraded to XP uses a dos based program installed on the NT server which is shared. It is ACCPAC...

View more questions Search