Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanjm Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 08:20 PM
    Help, my new bathtub is cracking!
    We had our bathroom remodeled in April of this year. A Sterling Acclaim 71091110-0 was installed by our contractor. Right after it was installed, we informed him that it was making loud popping noises when you stepped in it. Our contractor said it would go away. Well, it didn't and now it creeks loudly when you are in it as well. Just recently I noticed it is cracking on the inside edges. We called our contractor several times about this and he just called back tonight and said we used the wrong cleaner on it and that what is causing it to crack. We have only cleaned it once using a household brand you would normally use to clean a tub. Would cleaning the tub once with the wrong cleaner cause it to crack? Also how does that explain the loud creeking noises? I would appreciate any input anyone has on this.
    Alwayslost Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 09:45 PM
    I'm no expert or anything, but that contractor sounds like a real idiot. How would he even know what cleaner you used anyway. Oh well, I don't really know , maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. I'm just giving random input
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tanjm
    We had our bathroom remodeled in April of this year. A Sterling Acclaim 71091110-0 was installed by our contractor. Right after it was installed, we informed him that it was making loud popping noises when you stepped in it. Our contractor said it would go away. Well, it didn't and now it creeks loudly when you are in it as well. Just recently I noticed it is cracking on the inside edges. We called our contractor several times about this and he just called back tonight and said we used the wrong cleaner on it and that what is causing it to crack. We have only cleaned it once using a household brand you would normally use to clean a tub. Would cleaning the tub once with the wrong cleaner cause it to crack? Also how does that explain the loud creeking noises? I would appreciate any input anyone has on this.
    First off let me say that none of this was, IN ANY WAY, your fault. Your builder was attempting to blow smoke and tapdance away from responsibility in this case. Do not this slide until the warranty runs out.
    Let me explain what's happening and what should have been done by the plumbing company that installed the tub. Your tub is formed of plastic which is flexable. The "creaking and popping" noises you hear are the tub flexing and moving under the weight of the person in the tub. I find fault in two areas. The tub manufactures and designers should have designed supports for the tub floor. This is a common oversight in plastic tubs and why it then becomes THE PLUMBERS Responsibility to make " puddles" of mortar or cement under the floor of the tub so when he sets it the tub will "squish" down the "puddles" making a solid base for the tub to set on after the mix sets up and hardens. Evidently this was overlooked by the installer.
    To repair this is going to cost someone some money. First off a replacement tub. Then the labor of tearing the old out and replacing the new. This might require more then one trade. Drywall, plumbing, and tile are a few that come to mind. The one thing that you should bear in mind is that you're the victim in all of this. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Let me say it again. None of this was, IN ANY WAY, your fault. Good luck, Tom

Jul 30, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Thanks for the input. I thought he was full of it. I just wanted to add a few things:

He is a licensed contractor and is the one that set the tub. I am sure he told me on one occasion that the he didn't put mortar or anything else under the tub and that it is free floating. I forgot to clarify that the cracks in the tub are surface cracks (so far). He said he talked to a rep from the tub co. and they said it could be caused from cleaners like CLR or Tilex. He also said they want to talk to me directly. He told me to tell them that we never used anything other than shower b gone and or soap and water. We didn't get permits as he talked us out of it, but I would pay the fine if it was about the same amount as the permit would have cost in the first place. It was a large scale remodel though and I am fearful about bringing in an inspector and having to rip up floor or who knows what if they want to see other things.

This is our first remodel job, so we didn't know what to expect.This is so upsetting as he said he would come in and tear out the tub and put in a new one since he stands by his work and now he is trying to pin it on us.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2005, 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the input. I thought he was full of it. I just wanted to add a few things:

He is a licensed contractor and is the one that set the tub. I am sure he told me on one occasion that the he didn't put mortar or anything else under the tub and that it is free floating. I forgot to clarify that the cracks in the tub are surface cracks (so far). He said he talked to a rep from the tub co. and they said it could be caused from cleaners like CLR or Tilex. He also said they want to talk to me directly. He told me to tell them that we never used anything other than shower b gone and or soap and water. We didn't get permits as he talked us out of it, but I would pay the fine if it was about the same amount as the permit would have cost in the first place. It was a large scale remodel though and I am fearful about bringing in an inspector and having to rip up floor or who knows what if they want to see other things.

This is our first remodel job, so we didn't know what to expect.This is so upsetting as he said he would come in and tear out the tub and put in a new one since he stands by his work and now he is trying to pin it on us.

Of course he's attemping to make it your fault. To admit responsibility would cost big bucks and eat into his profit margin. Here's what Sterling has to say about its tub, "Compress molded of durable, solid Vikrell that retains room temperature. Color molded throughout with no layers to chip, crack or peel. Easy-to-clean, smooth and shiny, high gloss finish. Molded-in structural ribs for strength".

Won't chip, crack or peel huh? Your contractor said what? That the manufacture says It's all your fault? My trust in the contractor would have evaporated long ago. I'd want to hear that from the manufactures rep in person. This sounds like it might end up in court. I wouldn't worry too much about inspectors as it's the contractors responsibility to pull a permit. Your thrust should be to get with the factory rep and convince him it was a faulty installation. That takes the focus off you and puts it where it belongs, on the installer. The contractor is trying to wiggle out from underneath the whole thing. If he can blame you then you shoulder to cost of making it right. If he can blame the tub he can then go back on the manufacture. Either way he skates. We don't set a plastic bathtub without some sort of support for the base for exactly the same reason that you're complaining about. Please keep me in the loop on this one. Tom

Jul 30, 2005, 10:07 AM
    I am going to do my best to get a rep here on site as soon as possible. I will also look into maybe getting an inspector from the city if I can. Will keep you posted. Thanks so much for the help! :)
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 08:23 PM
    Tub Crack Status
    Hello, Please let me know how things work out for you. I recently installed a Sterling tub abd surround but have yet to use it. I did notice that a display model in the store was a bit weak in floor support and made a LOT of creaking and cracking when stepped in. I did a full mortar setting and it seems rock solid in my install. I don't think yours should have ever been installed without some flor support. Best of luck.

Herb.

Oct 6, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Update
    Well, we called Kohler and they sent someone out to look at the tub. He agreed with everything you all have said. We have been waiting now over two months for them to get us something in writing to present to our contractor. I got tired of waiting and just called our contractor. He is going to come at the end of the month and put foam under the tub. Does this sound right?
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 10:18 AM
    If you're not completely satisfied with the way you were treated or the job he did then I would report him, lest he pull the same fly-by-night crap on someone else
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2005, 12:30 PM
    "Our contractor's going to come at the end of the month and put foam under the tub. Does this sound right?"
    NOT TO ME It DON't! Foam consists of air bubbles. Over time as you put weight on foam it will compress and you'll be right back where you started from.
    At least you contractor's consistent. Still taking the easy way out. Squirt a little foam under the tub, blow a little smoke up the customers a$$, make him think it's repaired, take the money and run.
    You need something more substantial then foam, (which is mostly air) under the tub to support the weight over the years.
    And what about the damage to the tubs finish that was caused by the installers incompetence? Not a word about that. First the contractor tried to blame you. Then he said the manufacture told him it was your fault, and now it's, "Well, we called Kohler and they sent someone out to look at the tub. He agreed with everything you all have said" Doesn't sound to me like Kohler thinks it's your fault and I wouldn't believe anything your contractor said if his tongue came notarized. To my way of thinking you deserve a brand new tub installed correctly at the contractors expense, and not some rinky-dink half-assed patch job that won't last. Please keep me in the loop on this. Shoddy workmanship and "fast track" tactics always makes my blood boil. Good luck and stick to your guns. Don't let your contractor roll over you. Tom

Oct 12, 2005, 06:05 AM
    So what should I do? I don't have any evidence backing up that the installing the foam is going to be worthless. Should I call a plumber and have them come out to look at it? Would I be better off having someone else fixing it and taking him to court?

Thank you for all your advice!
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2005, 06:40 AM
    So what should I do? I don't have any evidence backing up that the installing the foam is going to be worthless. Should I call a plumber and have them come out to look at it? Would I be better off having someone else fixing it and taking him to court?

Thank you for all your advice!

Contact the factory rep. Tell him your contractor wishes to squirt foam, consisting mainly of air bubbles, to provide a solid base for the tub.
    Inform him since the contractor caused the problem in the first plaseand then lied about it by blaiming you and attempting to wiggle out from under any responsibility that you no longer trust his judgement.
    As I said in a earlier post," I wouldn't believe anything your contractor said if his tongue came notarized. To my way of thinking you deserve a brand new tub installed correctly at the contractors expense, and not some rinky-dink half-assed patch job that won't last."
    Get the factory rep on your side, (sounds like he already is) ask if a replacement tub at the contractors expense is feasible and then get statements from the factory rep that foam will not provide a solid base under the tub. That will force the contractor to do the work right or you'll have enough documentation to take him to court and collect damages and maybe a new tub. Don't let the contractor roll ever you. You're in the right and have the high ground in this. Don't give it up! Good luck and please keep me informed. Tom

Jan 4, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to let you all know what happened. After much mumbling and grumbling our contractor ended up putting in the new tub properly. Of course I had to send him a copy of a letter I received from Kohler stating this first. I jumped around in it and it seems rock solid. I still have yet to use it, so here hoping everything is right! Thanks for all your help! :)
    Martin Harrison Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Tub
    Hi gang,

If I was dealing with this contractor in the uk I would start by writing to him and writing to the tub manufacturers. Don't phone the contractor any more and try to get some correspondence from him. Be nice to him before you let him know you are going legal.
    He sounds like a cowboy to me make him pay for his cck ups.

Regards
    M
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jan 6, 2006, 03:55 PM
    This sounds like an issue for your state Department of Consumer Protection. Tell the contractor you will be contacting the state if he won't correct the problem. Good Luck. Don't be taken by shoddy workmanship. Stand up for yourself. No Department of Consumer Protection in your state? Small Claims Court.
    GEORGETOWN HOMEOWNER Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    We Had The Same Problem. The Solution Was To Pull Off The Baseboard In The Room Next To The Tub And Squirt In The Foam Insulation That Is Used For Doors And Windows (so It Will Not Expand Too Much) Under The Tub. No More Creaking And No Cracks. This Was 6 Months Ago. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub leaks [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2d floor bathtub with a shower. Whenever someone takes a bath, water leaks down to the 1st floor bathroom. It was so bad I had to have the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom replaced. This only happens when someone takes a bath, not when someone uses the shower. I recently had a plumber...

Bathtub glazing [ 2 Answers ]

I plan to glaze a bathtub. How does one find out about a reputable contractor?

Bathtub Horror [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to re-do my bathroom which was going very well until I tried to get my cold water knob off the stem, I tried several things to try to get it to come off, eventually I just made the knob body come off the stem and in turn I broke it "imagine that". I took off the hot water stem...

Low pressure in bathtub [ 7 Answers ]

:eek: my hus band is an excellent handyman but he cannot figure out why he changed the hot and cold knobs on our bathtub and now we have very very low water pressure out of the faucet. We have copper pipes.

Help! Under the bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

We are putting in a new tub due to some leakage in the previous tub surround. When we pulled up the tub, the tub drain hooks to a larger drain. The top of this larger drain appears to be open. Is this to vent the drain? It appears that the toilet also hooks to this drain. What keeps the...

View more questions Search