Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PlaidCat515 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
    My Vitamins Have Brown Dots On Them, What Does This Mean?
    Today when I opened my jar of daily multiple vitamins I saw brown dots on every vitamin. I didn't know why it had brown dots so I checked the expiry date and it was next year. I had one and it tasted real bad and I tried drinking lots of water but there was still after taste. I asked my mom about the brown dots on my vitamins and she just shrugged. I also told her it tasted really bad and she just told me she doesn't know what it is and said I still have to have my vitamins. Why are there brown dots on my vitamins? Its not too old if it expires next year! What do those dots mean?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Have they been stored in a warm place or maybe in the refrigerator?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Vitamins are to be stored in a cool dark place, not the refrigerator. Humidity has destroyed your vitamins. There is no sense in taking them now.

Aug 16, 2013, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have they been stored in a warm place or maybe in the refrigerator?
    No, they are stored on the kitchen table.

Aug 16, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Vitamins are to be stored in a cool dark place, not the refrigerator. Humidity has destroyed your vitamins. There is no sense in taking them now.
    I store the vitamins on the kitchen table and I'm also not too sure if its OK to consume vitamins with the brown dots.
    Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
    PlaidCat, did you read what I posted? NO you can't take them, they are no good now because they have been exposed to humidity. That is what the brown dots mean!

Keep them IN A COOL DARK PLACE AWAY FROM DAMP. The Kitchen table is obviously no good.

Aug 16, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    PlaidCat, did you read what i posted? NO you can't take them, they are no good now because they have been exposed to humidity. That is what the brown dots mean !!

Keep them IN A COOL DARK PLACE AWAY FROM DAMP. The Kitchen table is obviously no good.
    Because my mom said the vitamins still look fine
    Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 02:16 PM
    If she said they looked fine with brown dots, then take them, but I advise not too.

They are not effective, they are toast.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 02:18 PM
    They are not fine -- tickle is correct. The vitamins must be stored in a cool, dark place. All of my vitamin bottles are dark glass as an extra guarantee that light does not affect what's inside. If light and/or humidity affect them, they take on a strong, icky taste that tells you they are no longer good.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
    I agree with Tickle and WG. Vitamins should not be stored on the kitchen table. You're exposing them to light, to humidity, and that's what's ruined them. It is no longer safe to take them. If you want to jeopardize your health, take them. The brown spots are likely mold. Mold really isn't good to ingest. If you take them anyway, that's your choice, we can only give you advice, we can't force you to follow it.

It's best to store them in a cabinet, away from the sunlight, and away from humidity.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
    They are worthless to take even if they don't make you sick.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    they are worthless to take even if they don't make you sick.
    Considering that the brown dots are likely mold, they will make her sick. So they're not only worthless to take, they're also dangerous to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dry skin with brown dots [ 0 Answers ]

I've noticed in the last week that a few small pin prick like brown dots have appeared at the bottom, palmside of my right middle finger accompanied with dry skin and over the last week has appeared to have spread to my ring and pointing finger in the same area, first little dots then dry skin that...

Brown dots not from sun [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm 15 and overnight I have grown about 15 little brown dots all over my left hand and arm. Also, on my right wrist there are a few. It's not sun, as I live in Ireland and we get the most crap weather ever and it's Winter right now, so there's no chance it's the weather. I'm really scared in...

Brown "dots" that peel on hands and feet [ 0 Answers ]

Good Evening, I'm not sure how much this matters but, I'm a 32 year old female with terminal Ovarian Cancer that has spread throughout my abdomin. I have been getting these tiny brown dots on my hands and bottoms of my feet which then cause the area around them to peel, eventually peeling off...

Has Anyone Ever Got Brown Dots In There Face From Using Bio Claire? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is only for the people that have used the product Bio Claire. I have been using Bio Claire for about 2 months now and I absolutely love the results. But I read that you should not used it on your face because it contains Mineral Oil, which clog your pores. However, before I...

View more questions Search