Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcgyver60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 09:02 PM
    Is equipment cheaper to run on 480 VOLTS OR 220 VOLTS 3 phase
    I have 2 refrigeration compressors. One 5 h.p. 480 volts, 3 phase @ 4.5 amps. One 5 h.p. 230 volts 3 phase @ 20 amps. Which one will cost less to run assuming electric costs are same?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 09:48 PM

This is a real tough question to answer because of a couple of variables we don't know:

power factor - should be on nameplate
    % loaded
    Duty cycle

On the surface a 5 HP might theoretically cost more to operate, but if they are equally loaded and not at the extremes then look at the difference in the power factors first. This would be a number between probably 0.7 to 0.9. In any event, between 0 and 1.

The 480 V unit generally would require less cabling costs. The contactor would cost less too because the current is smaller.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall mount A/C, 110 volts vs 220 volts? [ 9 Answers ]

I live an an 580sq ft apartment, & I know some of the other tenants have 220 volt A/C, & some have 110 volt A/C. Which is better & Why?? :confused:

How to Convert Any Appliances from 220 Volts to 110 Volts [ 2 Answers ]

How to convert appliances like irons, fans and other appliances from 220 volts to 110?

220 volts to 120 volts [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a 220 volt/30 amp service to an electric washer/dryer combination. The washer/dryer broke down and I will be switching to individual units each requiring a 120 volt/15-20 amp supply suggesting a separate circuit. The current unit had a four wire configuration (2 hot -...

How do 480 volts work for heat pump? [ 1 Answers ]

:) Thanks

480 volts in home [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is legal to have 480 volts and 480 volt devices or equipment that runs on 480 volts in my home. Thank you timbeemoe

View more questions Search