Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katmah52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Credit score
    My husband and I recently paid off three IRS liens on our house which were also showing up on our credit reports. Instead of our scores going up, they dropped slightly. Can anyone tell me what happened or how to question this to the appropriate people? Thanks. Kat
    ZoomBoom Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Nov 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
    There is not enough information in your question to answer it in a correct manor. There are many things that affect credit scores and just because you do one good thing doesn't mean there isn't something else that is adversely affecting it. Some families having credit problems will close credit cards thinking it will help them when it actually hurts. Credit companies will look at how much credit you have available to you and how much you're using. So if you have a $1000 credit card maxed out and you cancel a $5000 limit card then you're credit usage goes from 1000/6000 to 1000/1000. This may or may not be your case but is just one of many examples.

As for who to talk to. Where are you getting your score from? If you are applying for credit and are rejected they must provide you with a copy of your report. If you are just checking with free credit report then you need to see the full report to find exactly what the deal is in your case.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 15, 2006, 03:30 PM
    When a lender pulls your credit and gets the scores. The four factors that kept the score from being higher are disclosed in order of decreasing importance. I would hope that your report shows the same items. When you pay off a judgment, collection, or tax lien, that brings the last activity on the delinquent account from the past to the present. That could trigger Code 13: Time since delinquency too recent or unknown; or Code 20: Time since derogatory public record or collection. I agree it's not fair for your score to be lowered when you pay off an old bad debt, but it's their ball game, and they make the rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit score increase? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, question... 3 years ago, I had a credit score of about 580 (college years, ugh, I won't go there). Today, my score is at a 643. I've been paying my bills ontime Every time for 3 years now, even with higher than min payment. Shouldn't my score be a lot higher after 3 years of perfect payments? ...

Beacon score [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can get my beacon score without any fees, a Free score without any strings attatched? Thanks Kevin

Beacon score [ 3 Answers ]

Although I don't worship the beacon score, I would still like to know what my score is occasionally... does anyone know where you can find your score without having to pay, or do you have to pay to get it?

Credit Score... [ 4 Answers ]

Someone might have asked this question, but there are so many posts that I couldn't go through them all. My question is: How many points does one's credit score go down, after, let's say a bank or a car dealer check the credit to see if you qualify? :confused: Thanks in advance.

Credit score change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm re-building my credit and I can view my credit score online. Last month it was 583, and this month it changed to 579. I have paid all bills in full. Could it be that in the last cycle my balance was just $3 under the credit limit? Thank you!

View more questions Search