Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srajanaca Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 02:13 AM
    Windows 98 se
    My windows 98se was corrupted. So I reinstalled it. My old programs are working. But those programs are not showing in the new add/remove programs list - to unstall it or see what are all they. Plese tell me how to see those ones in this add/remove programs.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2005, 04:29 AM
    Win98SE
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE; and about every year, have to reinstall it; which is normal for 98/98SE.
    When you installed 98, did you do a "delete and reinstall" or did you just simply do a "reinstall windows"?
    If you did the "delete and reinstall", it means that it completely deleted everything under the windows folder, and reinstalled 98. That means you would have to reinstall ALL your programs; such as Word, Photo programs, printer, scanner, any other programs you have. They would not show up in Add/Remove Programs, until you reinstall them, one at a time.
    None of these programs would work, until you have reinstalled them.
    Since your Add/Remove Programs does not show any of your "old programs", they should not be working!
    If you did the "install windows", it would have simply overwritten the windows operating system files, and all your programs would still work.
    It does sound like your re-installation of 98 did not completely do the job.
    How did you reinstall 98?
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    None of these programs would work, until you have reinstalled them.
    Since your Add/Remove Programs does not show any of your "old programs", they should not be working!
    Well actually that is incorrect. The reason that the programs don't show up in Add/Remove is that Add/Remove Programs does not see their uninstallation file since this new version of Windows did not do the original install. Looks like he reinstalled Windows over top of itself.

Have a super-terrific day!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2005, 07:32 AM
    Windows 98 over top
    HI,
    Thank you for agreeing with me; helps to know how to solve the issue.

Now, to srajanaca:
    The only way I know to solve this issue is to re-install Win98/98SE, but use the "delete and reinstall" in the installation menu.
    BE SURE you have all your install CD's, cause you will have to re-install all your programs, and printer, scanner, camera, everything! Even Word if you use it.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    [email protected] Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 02:17 PM
    Erm... did u know were in 2005 now and there is windows xp 98 is a little bit old don't you think
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Oct 10, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Ok...

#1. The last reply to this topic was in the middle of September.

#2. Your comment did not help to the cause whatsoever. Perhaps they don't have the funds to go spending a lot of money on a computer, or perhaps they have many of their personal files on this computer, and are happy with it, so why get a new one?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2005, 04:08 PM
    And there is no such thing as Windows xp 98.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows updates for Windows ME [ 16 Answers ]

For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about Windows XP. I'm wondering if I have to update all my software/hardware if I install windows XP. My present version is windows 98 Second Edition. My software/hardware includes OmniPage Pro 9, Epson 1660 photo scanner, a Samsung web camera, a Samsung printer, Sound...

Windows 98, only 16 bit [ 3 Answers ]

I just was given a hand me down computer ( V-Box) with Windows 98 installed. I can't get the display to cange to 256 bit color, the option is not even there (just 2 and 16) making it difficult to run many programs. I have a Standard PCI Graphics VGA adapter and the computer says I am using the...

View more questions Search