Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2014, 11:40 PM
    Filing U.S tax returns for foreign income.
    Hi, I had 2 questions about reporting foreign income when filing U.S tax returns :
    1. For NRE savings and C.D. accounts held in Indian Rupees in India but from CITIBANK N.A, which is U.S. based and sends out 1099-INT, do we still have to report the total balance as of Dec 31, 2013 for FBAR? I know we can use 1099-INT for reporting the interest but wasn't sure about total balance reporting for FBAR.
    2. For NRE accounts held in Indian banks that DO NOT send 1099-INT, do we report 'interest accrued' or 'interest paid' for C.D accounts for filing taxes? How about the total balance for FBAR reporting? Should we use 'interest accrued' or 'interest paid' to calculate the total balance as of Dec 31, 2013?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2014, 04:16 AM
    1) Even though the account interest is reported under Form 1099-INT, the highest balance in the foreign account STILL must be reported on the FBAR.

2) Include all accrued interest when determining the highest balance for FBAR purposes.
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    1) Even though the account interest is reported under Form 1099-INT, the highest balance in the foreign account STILL must be reported on the FBAR.

2) Include all accrued interest when determining the highest balance for FBAR purposes.
    Thank you.
    For #2, does that mean we use interest 'accrued but not paid' for FBAR calculation and interest 'paid' for reporting taxable income? Do we use the foreign exchange rate on Dec 31, 2013 to determine the equivalent USD to report? For FBAR, do we report the balance as of Dec 31, 2013?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2014, 10:26 PM
    You report the highest balance at ANY point of the year, but you use the 31 December 2013 exchange rate to report that balance on the FBAR.
    madhoa Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2014, 08:26 AM
    All interest that is accrued for a CD with a period > 1 year must be reported as income, and taxes must be paid on that. This is per IRS rules regarding multi-year CDs.

If you check your Citibank 1099s, you will see that interest accrued on a CD with a period > 1 year is reported. It may be in a 1099-OID rather than a 1099-INT, but it is reported.

For a CD with a period <=1 year, you can pay when the CD matures.
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2014, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by madhoa View Post
    All interest that is accrued for a CD with a period > 1 year must be reported as income, and taxes must be paid on that. This is per IRS rules regarding multi-year CDs.

If you check your Citibank 1099s, you will see that interest accrued on a CD with a period > 1 year is reported. It may be in a 1099-OID rather than a 1099-INT, but it is reported.

For a CD with a period <=1 year, you can pay when the CD matures.
    Thank you ! So, even for FBAR reporting, do we use the same principle, that is, if the CD tenure is > 365 days, we use the opening balance + interest accrued (not yet paid) to calculate the total balance that we need to report?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2014, 01:26 PM
    The value of a CD on the FBAR would be what you would get for it if you cashed it in that year. Most financial institutions would require you FORFEIT the interest on an early cashout.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I file back tax returns for foreign earned income? [ 1 Answers ]

I live abroad and earn very little money. For many years I have not filed my taxes, but I would like to get my financial affairs in order, even though I know I have no tax liability for those years. I have the amount I earned each year and the exchange rate for December 31 of each year. In the...

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

US tax returns L1 foreign income exemption [ 4 Answers ]

We came to US on June 5th 2009 on L1 Visa. From IRS documents my case belongs to Resident alien. And I have income in india. Can I file for Foreign income exemption using form 2555. From IRS documents, I need to satisfy two condition to qualify. 1) Physical presence test - I am passing this test, ...

Married filing joint file tax returns, if my wife is working in foreign country [ 4 Answers ]

Am I eligible to file tax returns in married filing joint status, if my wife is working in foreign country (i.e. in INDIA) for whole year 2009? If yes, what are the documents I need to file tax returns as married filing joint? Please assist me.

Filing Tax returns on H1 with spouse in India during the tax period. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I know that this question might have been answered already. But I couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Here is my case. I started working in US in April 2008 and got married in Nov 2008. My wife joined me here in US in March 2009. I would like to know: Am I eligible to file my...

View more questions Search